Coffee roasting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
Anyone roasting their own? Been thinking about it, since I quit brewing beer. Need something to drink.

Good idea! I would stick with beer though.

My brother in law gave us about a pint of beans that he ordered green online and roasted for xmas. They sure smelled good but I haven't ground them yet to see what they're like.

Seems very easy to roast your own. Use a popcorn popper.

I don't consider myself a coffee snob, but drinking Maxwell House and Folgers is kinda like drinking Budweiser and Miller Lite. Not much point in it.
I learned so much about the brewing process, but it's different part of my life now. I think I'll be okay with a half pound of freshly roasted coffee beans sitting around. Maybe even resist drinking it every day. It was pretty hard to do with cases and cases of really good beer sitting on the shelf.

jeff_t said:
drinking Maxwell House and Folgers is kinda like drinking Budweiser and Miller Lite. Not much point in f.

Depends on what your goal is.

The older I get the more I can appreciate a good cup of coffee... Especially after a night of too many budweisers.

Blue Vomit said:
Especially after a night of too many budweisers.

Ya, that stuff will give you the blue vomits for sure. :lol:

My son Nic is a barista for Blue Bottle Coffee in New York. They're a Frisco outfit that recently opened up several locations in the NY metro area. He came up for Christmas bearing gifts of fresh-roasted beans that I can't even pronounce the names of. Boy, were they ever yummy.

Blue Bottle roasts fresh every day, and sells their beans with the time and date of roasting on the package. They keep them exactly 24 hours before using them in various blends at the cafe. All of the straight coffee beans are guaranteed to be 24 hours old or less.

Nic may be training to be a roaster. i asked him about roasting my own beans and he just bit his lip and turned his face away. I guess there's a lot to it if you're gonna do it right, but I may give it a try anyway. I probably couldn't tell much difference with all the creamer I add to the stuff (when he's not looking, of course).

Anyone know where I can get the original Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee?I've tried 5 sites online and all I get is the counterfeit not the original.

Jamaican Blue is hard to find, as is Kona...most often you find them in blends, because they're grown in such (relatively) small quantities. If you really want an expensive cup of coffee, try Civet coffee. No idea where to get it though, I've never tasted it, only heard about it...do some googling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Personally, I'm a fan of rich dark roasts. 2 cups every morning, that's it anymore. When I think back on my 30 years in the Navy, it's hard to picture myself without a cup of coffee in my hand (well, we called it coffee). :p Rick

After a night on hearth.com com with Natural Lights there is nothing like a good cup of Food Lion house brand coffee in the morning.

fossil said:
Jamaican Blue is hard to find, as is Kona...most often you find them in blends, because they're grown in such (relatively) small quantities. If you really want an expensive cup of coffee, try Civet coffee. No idea where to get it though, I've never tasted it, only heard about it...do some googling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Personally, I'm a fan of rich dark roasts. 2 cups every morning, that's it anymore. When I think back on my 30 years in the Navy, it's hard to picture myself without a cup of coffee in my hand (well, we called it coffee). :p Rick
Ya I heard of that coffee.I probably tasted all the different kinds of coffee out there except the Civet and I don't think I want to try it after the description of it's processing.I wonder what the inspiration was that convinced someone to drink the beans after they came out of an animal's ass ?Anywho the Blue mountain is so smooth and delicious it makes all others I had mud in comparision.My search continues.

Does Nic do that slurping sucking sound like the professional tasters do on the TV? and then spit it out? If my kid was sucking down coffee like that I would smack him in the chops! Well, not really, but I would make fun of him.

JoeyD said:
I'm no coffee snob but I've been buying coffee from these people for years now and always got great service and great coffee, along with what I feel are great prices. They do sell green beans but I have no idea what the quality is like.

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/?source=adwords&gclid=CKSi-qvNqK0CFcNo4AoddQEDmA

Thanks for the info.I check out your site and they did have a Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.Unfortunately it comes from two of the estates I already tried whose coffee was of a low quality and not the real deal Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.

Highbeam said:
Does Nic do that slurping sucking sound like the professional tasters do on the TV? and then spit it out? If my kid was sucking down coffee like that I would smack him in the chops! Well, not really, but I would make fun of him.

Yup, they do that. All part of a professional "cupping". At home, however, he drinks it just like we mortals do... one delightful sip at a time. Nic's first job at 16 was in an upscale coffee shop here in Saratoga called Uncommon Grounds. You could say coffee is in his blood.

Call me a "frugal" coffee snob, but I found something much more palatable than Food Lion brand, and much less expensive than the "top-shelf" stuff from the roasters or the local Starbucks store. And, as an added bonus, you still get some Java Creds for grinding your own...

Eight 'O Clock brand whole bean coffee. Usually much less expensive than other "whole beans" on the supermarket shelf. Much cheaper than the "boutique" brands. It's not super-high end orgasmic coffee good, but its' good enough for the morning intravenous infusion.

Give it a try - it ain't half bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.