Coffee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just trying to do some quick $$/cup comparison between my Tassimo, and the 'old fashioned' way - something I'd never done before.

The stuff I'm using in that right now is costing about $22, for a box of 56 pods. So around 0.40/cup. Once in a while I can get it on sale for around $18-19, but I haven't caught that in a while. The last bag of beans I bought was around $8, for 400g (around 14 oz). It's a French roast that I like. Never really paid much attention to how many cups that was giving me. So right now I'd guess maybe 40? (For what should be close to an equivalent 8oz cup). So after all that, my Tassimo coffee works out to about double the cost per cup as using beans - using what I use in each case.

Sounds about right. The K-Cups look like they are about 56 cents a cup on Amazon. I am estimating we get about 48-50 mugs of coffee per pound. My wife buys locally roasted whole bean coffee that we mix with Trader Joe's Sumatra or Breakfast Blend for an average price of say $9/lb. She will only buy shade grown organic coffee. With premium coffee that works out to about 18 cents per cup. The coffee is brewed in a 1 liter Bodum press pot and then put in an insulated carafe that has been preheated with hot water. It is very full bodied, yet not acidic or harsh. Tastes great, though I now limit my consumption and mostly drink tea after finding out how much unfiltered coffee was spiking my cholesterol levels.

Do you folks use or recommend the paper filters or the reusable mesh types? I use the mesh. I drink a full 12 "cup" pot per day of folgers.
I use the mesh also, with a 1 to 2 pot a day habit

I use the mesh also, with a 1 to 2 pot a day habit

I killed my first pot at around 10 am one day and I was going to be home working in the cold shop so I brewed another pot and drank it too. I had them both down before 1 pm but I didn't sleep until almost daylight the next day. The caffeine is an odd bird, I thought it would be out of my system after 8 hours. 2 pots of coffee sure does wonders for your regularity.

2 pots of coffee sure does wonders for your regularity.
LOL I hear that....
I can drink 3-4 cups and go to bed an hour later. Never really effected me that way. Growing up in my house there way always a "pot on", it was all my Dad drank. He must of hit 5-6 pots a day during the winter. He'd buy the 33 --36 OZ cans by the case (six to a case) about 3-4 cases a month.

Do you folks use or recommend the paper filters or the reusable mesh types? I use the mesh. I drink a full 12 "cup" pot per day of folgers.

I've tried the mesh with 2 different coffee makers I've owned, and always went back to paper. The mesh always lets some solids through, and ruins that very last sip!

Reactions: firebroad
I've tried the mesh with 2 different coffee makers I've owned, and always went back to paper. The mesh always lets some solids through, and ruins that very last sip!

Oh yes, there is some mud on the bottom of the pot. I pitch that last 1/4 cup to avoid it.

This house runs on Dunkin's. I take mine black with sugar... wife takes hers with half and half. We both go through 2+ BIG mugs a day. My favorite mug is about pint sized.

I like it strong, but not burnt, as is the current trend with the more expensive American coffee house coffees

Interesting, I never though about it but you are right. Just like micro brews are all obsessed with making the hoppiest most bitter IPA they can. I dont like either my beer or my coffee bitter personally.

I take it then you are not a starbucks fan either.

The Nantucket is very good. I recently tried the 8 o'clock Colombian and it is one of the best I've had for the keurig.

have some of the regular 8 o clock , its pretty good also, I used to grind their beans and brew it before I got the k cup machine

I like a good tasting coffee, I drink it black, about 30-40 oz. a day. I've got a few brands and flavors I'm partial to, but unless it's burnt or flavored I find it to be like pizza and beer, even bad coffee is better than no coffee.

Anyone know of a decent low acid coffee? I've read that cold brewing really cuts the acid down, but it would change my whole morning routine and that's not really an option as I'm disturbingly set in my ways. (or so my gf says)

Any suggestions or anyone every try a "low acid" coffee?
a long ( dark roast) French/Italian is supposed to roast the acid right out, but at the expense of losing the original earthy coffee flavor.
I prefer a light roast that preserves flavor and the caffeine content is supposed to be higher. Often called breakfast roast for the caffeine kick. I guess I prefer smooth acid to no acid taste. (also burnt beans, some people like that )

Like a regular cup of coffee you can use any roast bean for espresso depending on your preference

This house runs on Dunkin's... I take it then you are not a starbucks fan either.
Dunkin's is actually not bad coffee! I used to drink two large every day, back in college. It's not strong enough to put a smile on my face any more, but it's decent, straight, medium-roast coffee.

Starbucks... meh. The sad thing is I think they're using some primo beans, but they roast the hell out of them, to where they just taste totally burnt. It's their "signature flavor." I don't mind a cup of that stuff once in the afternoon, but it would ruin my day if I drank it all day long.
I noticed prices definitely jumped up about a year ago. I only order coffee maybe 3 - 4 times per year, but it's usually several kilograms of spendy stuff, when I do. My usual order price probably jumped up 40% last year.

Mine has a reusable mesh which I like for a variety of reasons. First of all, not that they're terribly expensive, but that you don't have to buy them, or remember to buy them. Second of all, I really think they improve flavor. When I finish a cup of coffee made with the mesh filter I notice a kind of "sediment" in the bottom, which the mesh allows through but a paper filter would not. I think these fine grounds make for a more full bodied and robust cup of coffee. The mesh in mine appears to be a very fine brass wire.

Reactions: Highbeam
Mine has a reusable mesh which I like for a variety of reasons. First of all, not that they're terribly expensive, but that you don't have to buy them, or remember to buy them. Second of all, I really think they improve flavor. When I finish a cup of coffee made with the mesh filter I notice a kind of "sediment" in the bottom, which the mesh allows through but a paper filter would not. I think these fine grounds make for a more full bodied and robust cup of coffee. The mesh in mine appears to be a very fine brass wire.
Like filtered beer, you take the good out with the bad. I just wondered what you coffee experts thought.

A paper filter is effective at filtering out the terpenes, some essential oils in coffee. A mesh filter less so. That is why there is a taste difference. Unfortunately, some of those terpenes, like cafestol are not good for someone with a high cholesterol situation. It causes mine to spike badly so I now avoid unfiltered coffee, in spite of it tasting much better. My lucky wife gets to drink the Bodum coffee, I drink mostly tea these days, but still enjoy a good cup of coffee occasionally.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

Reactions: Owen1508
A paper filter is effective at filtering out the terpenes, some essential oils in coffee. A mesh filter less so. That is why there is a taste difference. Unfortunately, some of those terpenes, like cafestol are not good for someone with a high cholesterol situation. It causes mine to spike badly so I now avoid unfiltered coffee, in spite of it tasting much better. My lucky wife gets to drink the Bodum coffee, I drink mostly tea these days, but still enjoy a good cup of coffee occasionally.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

Thanks. That may explain why my single cup coffee in the morning tastes different compared with the filtered one I make when we have company. I was always thinking I was off in the amount of coffee grounds I put in. Fortunately, I only drink one cup of coffee per day (my morning "wake-up drug"). Otherwise, it is tea for the rest of the day.

Starbucks... meh. The sad thing is I think they're using some primo beans, but they roast the hell out of them, to where they just taste totally burnt. It's their "signature flavor." I don't mind a cup of that stuff once in the afternoon, but it would ruin my day if I drank it all day long.

Bought once a bag of Starbuck French Roast. Probably the most disappointing coffee I had here. They have some kind of "signature collection". Found once two half pound bags of it on the closeout table, that was good stuff but too pricey at its normal price. We have plenty of small coffee roasters around here so I usually buy from them. With just on cup per day, 1 lb lasts me 6 to 8 weeks. For the rest of the day it is tea. I found it to keep me going better than coffee plus I like the taste better.

I noticed prices definitely jumped up about a year ago. I only order coffee maybe 3 - 4 times per year, but it's usually several kilograms of spendy stuff, when I do. My usual order price probably jumped up 40% last year.

Since you buy German coffee part of that increase may be due to the 15% plus in the exchange rate. When I am at home, my Mom usually buys from Tchibo. They also have some good roasts.

Reactions: Ashful
Like filtered beer, you take the good out with the bad. I just wondered what you coffee experts thought.
No expert here, but I like both. Like beer and women, variety is a wonderful thing. My daily brew is with a paper filter (proprietary high-flow filters made by Bunn), but my weekend brew is with the expresso machine or Bodum press, both with a mesh screen. You should use a coarser grind with most mesh filters, and most coffee makers will sell a special grind for french press, but normal grind works too (if you don't mind the sediment in the bottom of the pot).

... I now avoid unfiltered coffee, in spite of it tasting much better. My lucky wife gets to drink the Bodum coffee...
You can buy paper disc filters for your Bodum press, but I never thought they worked very well. Most of the water ends up having to escape around the perimeter of the filter, rather than up thru the filter paper, due to it being rather restrictive.

Reactions: Owen1508
The Aeropress is kind of a cool little french press unit that I use sometimes. Its great for making a super high octane blast of afternoon coffee when I don't want to brew a second pot. I don't think its exactly a substitute for espresso, but you can make a darn strong shot of coffee with it! Then just water down with hot water if you want to drink a full cup (like an americano).

http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Cof...8&qid=1398448990&sr=8-3&keywords=coffee+press

Daily brew was Starbucks Morning Joe in a French press. I'm good for two cups with breakfast - black no sugar. Recently we tried Gevalia Dark Gold roast....excellent coffee!
I like strong bold coffee with no sour acidy flavor. This Gevalia is about as smooth as it gets IMHO.
It's a good thing we found it when we did....I can't find Morning Joe on the shelves anymore....tag says 'Discontinued'

Last edited:
Any of you coffee aficionados have tips for making campfire percolator coffee? I'm headed up to the Kittattinnies this weekend with some friends and I'm bringing a percolator pot I picked up. I've never used one before. When you fill it with water I assume you only fill to just below the level of the basket right? How long should the water actually boil for? How much coffee per oz of water? (We all like it strong).

Aside from some monster 60-cup banquet style brewers, I've never used a small percolator myself. However, if you haven't already acquired the percolator, you might want to check out some of the portable (plastic) drip rigs, which work just like your drip coffee maker at home. Just pour in boiling water.

Also, mom just gave me an all aluminum french press (versus the Bodum glass rigs), actually sold as a hot cocoa brewer, which looks like it might work for coffee. I was planning to give it a try on our upcoming back yard camping.

Status
Not open for further replies.