1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Coil in plenum, Hi, Med, Lo fan speed?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Sawyer, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    I have a coil in a air handler for areas of the house that are heated through duct work. I would prefer a low fan speed setting for noise and "felt" temperature moving out of the heat registers.

Will a high fan setting give me more BTU output than Medium or Low?

I do like the lower noise level of Medium compared to High.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DaveBP

DaveBP Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Maine
    It's the old dilemma. Faster air through the coils will take away more BTUs but it will be a a lower "felt" temperature at the register on the wall. But I don't know that the felt temperature out in the room away from the register might not increase faster even with the lower felt temperature at the duct.
  3. RobC

RobC Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Foxboro MA
    I found that I could save on electricity by running on low fan speed. If you have A/C for summer you will remove more moisture from interior air also on low. However you do need to move enough air to heat or cool in a reasonable amount of time.
  4. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Thanks all,

Looks like I am going to have to experiment. I indeed do feel warmer on medium than on high, especially in the living room as it has 60 feet of glass on the three outside walls.

I am going to run different speeds the next few days and take delta T over supply/return at various times to see if the changes are significant.