Coil in plenum, Hi, Med, Lo fan speed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
I have a coil in a air handler for areas of the house that are heated through duct work. I would prefer a low fan speed setting for noise and "felt" temperature moving out of the heat registers.

Will a high fan setting give me more BTU output than Medium or Low?

I do like the lower noise level of Medium compared to High.

It's the old dilemma. Faster air through the coils will take away more BTUs but it will be a a lower "felt" temperature at the register on the wall. But I don't know that the felt temperature out in the room away from the register might not increase faster even with the lower felt temperature at the duct.

I found that I could save on electricity by running on low fan speed. If you have A/C for summer you will remove more moisture from interior air also on low. However you do need to move enough air to heat or cool in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks all,

Looks like I am going to have to experiment. I indeed do feel warmer on medium than on high, especially in the living room as it has 60 feet of glass on the three outside walls.

I am going to run different speeds the next few days and take delta T over supply/return at various times to see if the changes are significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.