Cold air coming from front

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akronguy

Jan 18, 2007
We built a house 3 years ago and the builder installed a DESA direct-vent gas fireplace. Ever since it was installed, we have had constant problems in the winter with cold air coming from the front into our living room. The builder took the siding off the outside chase and reinsulated the outside box, as well as insulating under the box (it's on a raised hearth). That made the problem better but didn't solve it completely.

That side of the house is exposed to the west and when the winds blow the draft gets worse. We have been forced to tape a blanket up in front of the fireplace to cut down on the heat loss. Is there some kind of insulating blanket that can be custom made to cover the opening - which can be readily removed when we want to use it?

Thanks!

akronguy

Find out exactly where the ari is coming from ans seal it. Do these type fireplaces have an AOK that could be the culprit? Does the fireplace have doors on it? Doors might help.

Webmaster - we tried to use the vinyl magnetic strips to cover the vents on top and bottom of the front to prevent draft - did help but really need to seal entire front. The Amazon link looks like a great idea - I will try it!

Hogwildz - that's what we did when we stripped the siding off on the outside chase as well as sealing on the bottom. The fireplace is a "sealed" unit - no doors. The front is hinged to allow access to the pilot assembly.

akronguy said:
Webmaster - we tried to use the vinyl magnetic strips to cover the vents on top and bottom of the front to prevent draft - did help but really need to seal entire front. The Amazon link looks like a great idea - I will try it!

Hogwildz - that's what we did when we stripped the siding off on the outside chase as well as sealing on the bottom. The fireplace is a "sealed" unit - no doors. The front is hinged to allow access to the pilot assembly.

Ok, that rules those out. The cold air has to be coming from somewhere. Keep searching. Do you know exactly where the cold air is coming in at the front, as in a draft etc? Its got to be coming from somewhere. Is there a flue for this thing, that when not in use it could be reverse drafting? Where does it gets its air from if any, and where does it go when buring? I don't know alot about gas fireplaces, but I doubt or at least hope it shouldn't be drafty when not in use. I am assuming its when not in use that this happens?
Is there some sort of fire stop above the fireplace in the chase? could the cold air be coiming in from above? Or is that insulated also?

Status
Not open for further replies.