Cold air intake hose - acceptable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Swed

Nov 26, 2016
NY
I was in lowes today. Finally got the allure 50 Delivered on Friday and am in the process of installing it so I picked up some 3inch hvac tubing while in lowes today.

What do you guys think, can this be used for the cold air intake? It looks like it's rated for up to 400+ Degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 222
I was in lowes today. Finally got the allure 50 Delivered on Friday and am in the process of installing it so I picked up some 3inch hvac tubing while in lowes today.

What do you guys think, can this be used for the cold air intake? It looks like it's rated for up to 400+ Degrees.
Yup that works. It will get a lot of frost on it on a night like this.-9 here.

Reactions: Swed
Should work fine, looks like the same stuff I that came with my OAK (outside air kit).

Reactions: Swed
Thanks guys. I just wasn't sure if it was fire rated high enough for the air intake (I know air intake is not supposed to get hot but think they require some kind of rating in case something goes wrong) I know on my old Englander when I unhooked it I found a couple of pellets in the air intake hose. I don't know if something went wrong where it was subject to heat or how that happened so just want to make sure...

-9 ouch! We were in the single temps one night last week but bounced up to the mid 50s today (long island) ... but we are back in 20s tonight and the low 30s tomorrow :( Great for pellet stoves, not so great for the mind, lol. (summer person here).

We just got to a -20F dip last night. I wonder how an OAK would do in such low temp?

We just got to a -20F dip last night. I wonder how an OAK would do in such low temp?

Mine gets condensation on it and I have to put a rag under it to catch the drips.

Mine is automotive exhaust flex pipe. Gets condensation when it gets below 10F or so. When it starts approaching -20F it gets frost. I too keep a towel on the floor behind the stove to catch the drips.

But much better drawing in the -20F air there, than through every crack and crevice in the rest of the house.

Reactions: FirepotPete
I've run mine for years, many times -20°F and colder. Like others say, you'll get some condensation, so a rag or two on the floor and all is good.

Reactions: FirepotPete
I ended up picking up some of this from Home Depot, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-Products-3-in-x-96-in-Round-Aluminum-Flex-Pipe-EX-AF-396/202907340 only because it says it is non combustible and that is what Harman calls for. I had to have it shipped since Home Depot stores don't stock it. When I received it, it is flimsy. It bends and crushes easily so took some patience hooking it up to the wall thimble. The stuff at lowes although only rated to 400+ degrees was much more sturdy but still very easy to bend and work with. While I had the lowes hooked up for a week I kept an eye on it and it stayed totally cold, never even a hint of warmth so I am not sure if I really needed to change it out with the one from Home Depot but since Home Depots is rated non combustible, piece of mind and it is to code. Thanks for all the replies.. I hope this helps someone in the future doing a hookup.