cold air leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbwil3

Mar 14, 2007
Hello,
I am enjoying our new fireplace x 33 elite insert very much; the heat it throws is more than enough for our house, downstairs and up. We do however have a problem. There is a good amount of cold air coming in at the bottom of the insert when not in use. This is where the insert meets the hearth. I believe the installer wrapped the pipe with insulation when he hooked it up, but was not there during the installation. This chimney has two other flues that aren't in use. Could this contribute to our problem?
Thanks,salbwil2

I'm not real familiar with your insert, but did they install a block off plate where the fireplace damper was. Sounds like cold air is coming down the chimney between the liner and chimney flue? A block off plate would eliminate this. It also sounds like you have negative pressure in the room where your insert is installed which creates that cold down draft. IT may also be possible the other two flues are leaking cold air into your insert flue? Those mortar joints aren't always the best. If you can do it try capping the two unused flues and see if the leaking stops.

Things to do in the AM:

1) Call Installer

2) Tell them the problem

3) Be there for the appointment when they come to fix it

A good installer/retailer lives by their reputation. Just a phone call away?

Hello,
Fireplace (original) is a 1978 heatilator type into brick surround and chimney. The leak is coming from where the insert meets ( or doesn't quite meet) the tiled hearth. I sent pictures before and after install. As per instructions on this great web site, I paid for a block off plate so am hoping he did indeed install this. On cold windy days, the draft through this area is almost as bad as before we installed the insert. Husband is irate that we spent all this moola to have same problem.
salbwil3

A block off plate is key here. Another 'fix' for the draft is a plate for the top of the chimney. Is ther a chimney cap/plate that the pipe exits through?

Pictures would be great...

OK, looking back through your posts, here is my guess.....

The unit is probably installed on an outside chimney (wall).

The brick, tons of it, plus the steel of the Heatilator conducts massive amounts of cold, therefore making the entire mass - especially the steel Heatform unit, VERY chilly. Then convection currents start up and you get cold air.

In some ways, there is no perfect solution - but my advice (from afar) is to purchase some small stove gasket and seal up any small cracks that exist under the unit, etc. - make certain that the front insert panels are also well sealed to the brick.

If a block off plate was installed, then this stuff is not really the job of the manufacturer or dealer - it's just something that is inherent in outside masonry masses. However, if a plate was not installed, or installed loosely (pipe and edges not sealed) then this can aggravate and add to the problem as any air flow is going to hurt.

Web is the expert, but I had cold air in a later model zero clearance model that was caused by the outside air intake.

Thanks everyone.
I will purchase ,as suggested ,the heat proof material to "stuff" the crack under the unit where it meets the hearth; will let you know if this works. I can most likely get this at the stove store.Husband also suggested laying and cementing in place a bluestone piece across top off unused flues.
salbwil3

Incredible that you wouldn't consider to call the installer?

I think that is the reason for shabby workmanship in most cases these days, people don't complain when a job is not done to specs and the technicians get away with it.

Oh well,
Jim

I will contact the installer, yes, but would like to see if there is something else the problem before I let ding at him. Plus, he lives in N.H., and we live in MA. some distance away. Don't want him to make the trip if the solution is a simple one for us to do ........in other words , not a fault of his installation.
salbwil3

Fabulous, glad to hear it. I was not 'blaming' anyone, but the installer knows exactly what your setup is, knows the fireplace and the insert he installed. It might be an inherant situation of the stove itself.

He would probaly love to hear that you will do the work if you have the right clues as per why the draft occurs.

Good luck and we know that it will all be resolved,
Jim

salbwil3 said:
I don't believe this insert has an outside air supply.
salbwil3

Can you let us all know later what results you get and what steps you took, and if you talk to the installer, what he suggested to do?

As you can guess, most anyone at the "hearth forum" considers "cold air" an unwelcome guest!

Thanks.

Hi,
Happy New Year to all !

Thought I'd finish this thread . Installer came last Saturday to fix the problem we've had with the leak. He claims "his helper" never insulated around the unit .He fixed this and it is better, but not perfect. I suspect it is as web states, that we are getting cooling of the prefab fireplace itself as it is on an outside wall and this is a cold mass that our insert is set into. I am also going to use some gasket where the surround meets the hearth and further correct the leak. In the Spring, my husband will see about covering the other two UNUSED flues and also stop cold air from coming down the chimney .
Once again thanks for the help; this stove heats extremely well !
salbwil3

Thanks for the final resolve. Now you can start thinking about filling one of those flues with a real STOVE.

Happy New Year back atcha!

Status
Not open for further replies.