Cold and getting COLDER what you burning tonight...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Solid bed of ash coals top of with beech and damper down. 10 degrees out 20mph winds and a glass of Johnny Walker black the heat is on.

I managed to get into a stack of what I thought was mostly oak splits. Turns out there's more maple in there than I thought. The maple just really doesn't want to burn worth a crap, yet I keep trying. Probably gonna' have to get on the roof in the next couple days to check the cap.........again.
It's still about 19 degs. here, so not too cold, but I have to keep a fire going or the house will get chilly in a couple hours.
Time to reload the Gatorade glass. :coolsmile:

During these single digit nights I have been burning some very well seasoned hedge and honey locust I save for just this kind of weather. The hedge has been in my end stacks for 20+......and man does it burn long and hot. It is like smooth aged whisky. When it gets back up in the double digits I will switch back to my ash, oak, cherry, etc. ;-P

Mild day today, Only put about 8 splits through the stove and have an ample supply of oak in front of the stove.
Now I just need a reason to walk out to the woodpile where my pint of Jack is. Actually thats reason enough :)

tfdchief said:
During these single digit nights I have been burning some very well seasoned hedge and honey locust I save for just this kind of weather. The hedge has been in my end stacks for 20+......and man does it burn long and hot. It is like smooth aged whisky. When it gets back up in the double digits I will switch back to my ash, oak, cherry, etc. ;-P

smart very smart just put in 3 splits of hedge myself its around 10 years old the scotch is 12.lol

hareball said:
Mild day today, Only put about 8 splits through the stove and have an ample supply of oak in front of the stove.
Now I just need a reason to walk out to the woodpile where my pint of Jack is. Actually thats reason enough :)

Jersey you have a pretty good snow Storm coming let jack help.

PapaDave said:
I managed to get into a stack of what I thought was mostly oak splits. Turns out there's more maple in there than I thought. The maple just really doesn't want to burn worth a crap, yet I keep trying. Probably gonna' have to get on the roof in the next couple days to check the cap.........again.
It's still about 19 degs. here, so not too cold, but I have to keep a fire going or the house will get chilly in a couple hours.
Time to reload the Gatorade glass. :coolsmile:

Hate that when it happens.....

Got home late from work...my wife had already found the pine stash. Seems it is her go to lately, probably because it is right outside the door. I'll toss in a nice cross section of urban hardwood forest later. Cheap box wine because well thats all that is in the house.

Mostly maple. It's supposed to get down into the 20's tonight. That's really cold for here.

I've got an oak round and two pear splits to throw on when I go to bed.

Roll tide.

SolarAndWood said:
Got home late from work...my wife had already found the pine stash. Seems it is her go to lately, probably because it is right outside the door. I'll toss in a nice cross section of urban hardwood forest later. Cheap box wine because well thats all that is in the house.

lol thats great! johnny was a x-mass present and with the snow we just got I was out plowing and it just seem right. Your out east the snow is coming your way have fun.....

Johnny always seems right. I dropped off the pedestal for a milling machine and a 1/3 cord at a buddies farm this morning. He in turn popped a vanilla rum disguised in a Diet Coke in my hand. After I got over the shock, that seemed pretty right to. 18 degrees, frozen drizzle coming down unloading some wood and enjoying rum with a friend. Thats the makings of a successful ad campaign right there. BTW, which would you rather have 26 and frozen drizzle or 18 and frozen drizzle?

Wishing I had a stove... Wife and I were just looking at pictures to see what we like. Gotta love Johnny Black!

SolarAndWood said:
Johnny always seems right. I dropped off the pedestal for a milling machine and a 1/3 cord at a buddies farm this morning. He in turn popped a vanilla rum disguised in a Diet Coke in my hand. After I got over the shock, that seemed pretty right to. 18 degrees, frozen drizzle coming down unloading some wood and enjoying rum with a friend. Thats the makings of a successful ad campaign right there. BTW, which would you rather have 26 and frozen drizzle or 18 and frozen drizzle?

lol I am in the country no wind blocks for a country mile doesn't really matter much with high winds... but with in 24 hrs. thats going to be snow.

I just looked at my outside temp and its a balmy 11, burning some balsa and cotton wood. My indoor temp is a toasty 63 for watching the football game.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I just looked at my outside temp and its a balmy 11, burning some balsa and cotton wood. My indoor temp is a toasty 63 for watching the football game.

Shipper

funny, you are a southern boy.. hey thanks for the tip on the snow plow friends and neighbor's are hitting me up its working great.

smokinjay said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

funny, you are a southern boy.. hey thanks for the tip on the snow plow friends and neighbor's are hitting me up its working great.
Being born and raised in Gary Indiana, I will take that with a grain of salt. :lol:

Your welcome on the plow.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
smokinjay said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Being born and raised in Gary Indiana, I will take that with a grain of salt. :lol:

Your welcome on the plow.

Shipper

lol thats why I knew it would work 2 hrs south! go Texas...................

smokinjay said:
tfdchief said:

smart very smart just put in 3 splits of hedge myself its around 10 years old the scotch is 12.lol
smokinjay, sounds like its going to be a GOOD night! :) Sleep tight. Edit: PS. Dang, I thought I was the only guy smart enough to hold out on the old aged stuff. lol

smokinjay said:
hareball said:

Jersey you have a pretty good snow Storm coming let jack help.

Supposed to hammer us early, just in time to screw up rush hour. Then end quite quickly.
I just want the cold to come back!! The fisher don't like to simmer, ha!

I never did make it to the woodpile to rescue Jack, I got sidetracked with an Irish Coffee :)

Unfortunately I'm burning propane....which is also why the house is 62 degrees. Looking forward to getting the Regency I ordered today

It's not too bad in CT tonight with temps in the mid 20s. Working on some Oak and Hickory that's been seasoning in the sun and wind for a couple of years. If I wasn't on-call tonight I'd be tipping back some microbrew pale ale!

smokinjay said:
Solid bed of ash coals top of with beech and damper down. 10 degrees out 20mph winds and a glass of Johnny Walker black the heat is on.
burning some ash and punky maple nice and warm in the house so i'm having me a milkshake, not that i need one

82F at the moment. Trying to get some heat into the back of the house.

Roll Tide.

PS -- I'm not really that much of an Alabama fan. Just better than the alternative.

20f outside,burning large cherry and ash splits 2 at a time. pete

onion said:
Unfortunately I'm burning propane....which is also why the house is 62 degrees. Looking forward to getting the Regency I ordered today
Dang, 62 degrees.....my old bones won't take that anymore. I feel for ya "onion".....many years ago when we really couldn't afford it, I scrimped and saved up to buy my little buck and the wife wasn't any to happy about it because $900 was a lot of money back then. Now, 28 years later, she loves that little old stove and doesn't get to far from it. Let us know when you get installed and send some pics. Love to see it. It will warm your heart and soul as well as your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.