COLD AS A WELL DIGGERS ASS!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henfruit

Minister of Fire
just woke to the wind howling at least 30 plus from the north. and i face due north wide open all the way to mt washington. a big zero out side hows that for a wind chill factor. yikes, the boiler is chugging along to keep up.my delta t is running about 25 have never seen it that big before. the system must be sucking as much heat as it can to keep me wrm. happy new year,just checked the tolet not frozen back to bed.

Had some correspondence with a fellow HVAC contractor in Fairbanks, Alaska a couple days ago. He said the the NWS predicted daytime highs of -35 and overnight lows of -55. His next statement was "but it's a dry cold". The design temp for Fairbanks is -47*F. At that temp a hot cup of coffee thrown into the air never hits the ground. It doesn't freeze, it flashes into vapor and evaporates before it falls. He said the ice fog was so thick he couldn't see a street light sitting right in front of it.

We seem to be headed for the second colder than normal winter in a row. Yesterday we topped out at -10f after a -29f in the morning. The wood furnace struggled all day to keep the house in the mid 60s. In between stoking the stove I'm working on the storage tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.