Cold as it gets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syd3006

Jan 20, 2008
Northwestern Ontario
I have a digital thermometer in my kitchen window with the sensor on the outside of the house, this is a west exposure. At 5:00 am this morning as I was making my lunch for work it was fluctuating between -39 and -40 degrees! At the moment I have a roaring fire going in the Century Hearth but on-line weather reports say there is not going to be much change in temps for the next few days. With rare exceptions this is as cold as it gets in this part of the country.

Wow. I've felt -32F once and it's brutal. -12 is about the coldest we see here and that's expected later this week.
Hang in there. I hope your vehicle has a battery warmer.

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW is becoming real life with global warming .....
many furnaces will be running as stoves are gonna be real hard pressed

iceman said:

LOL- the day after tomorrow... maybe if they repeal the Ideal Gas Law

-40 is sludgy oil, frozen snot, Mr. Freeze cold. hang in there bud.

Adios Pantalones said:
iceman said:

LOL- the day after tomorrow... maybe if they repeal the Ideal Gas Law

-40 is sludgy oil, frozen snot, Mr. Freeze cold. hang in there bud.

you have more wood than me so i will be trying to get to your house before the stratosphere cold comes!!!!! lol
then when we are done we can go to my house..... but i bet if air that cold did come down it would dry out a lotta trees quick!!

syd3006 said:
I have a digital thermometer in my kitchen window with the sensor on the outside of the house, this is a west exposure. At 5:00 am this morning as I was making my lunch for work it was fluctuating between -39 and -40 degrees! At the moment I have a roaring fire going in the Century Hearth but on-line weather reports say there is not going to be much change in temps for the next few days. With rare exceptions this is as cold as it gets in this part of the country.

Warning: Don't pee outdoors for the next few days.

Backwoods Savage said:
syd3006 said:

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheHamptons.htm

George: Well ordinarily I wouldn't mind. But...

Jerry: But...

George: Well I just got back from swimming in the pool. And the water was

cold...

Jerry: Oh... You mean... shrinkage.

George: Yes. Significant shrinkage!

Jerry: So you feel you were short changed.

George: Yes! I mean, if she thinks that's me she's under a complete

misapprehension. That was not me, Jerry. That was not me.

George: How do women know about shrinkage? (They see Elaine walking down

the hall) Elaine! Get! (She enters) Do women know about shrinkage?

Elaine: What do you mean, like laundry?

George: No.

Jerry: Like when a man goes swimming... afterwards...

Elaine: It shrinks?

Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!

Elaine: Why does it shrink?

George: It just does.

Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.

Brian VT said:
Wow. I've felt -32F once and it's brutal. -12 is about the coldest we see here and that's expected later this week.

FYI Battery warmers are very bad for your battery. A fully charged battery is good to about -90. Now I highly recommend a block heater, oil pan heater, and tranny pan heater to start your vehicle and extend drive train life in arctic temps. Batteries do drain faster in the cold so a trickle charger wired in is also a good idea.
I lived in a cabin with no electricity my first couple years here. Each night in the winter I would drain the oil out of my truck and bring it in and set it by the wood stove. In the morning I would pour the warm oil back in the truck wait about 10 min for the heat to soak in to the motor then start. That works pretty well in a pinch.

Around here when its cold [-40 and below and no power] a guy uses a tiger torch. Thats a propane blow torch. Its best to use a few lengths 3 of stove pipe with a 90 on the end under the truck. Just put the torch in the end then turn the 90 so its pointing at the block and only heat not flames reaches the oil pan. Have been using that method for gas or diesel machines in winter for 40 years.

wolfkiller said:
Brian VT said:

FYI Battery warmers are very bad for your battery. A fully charged battery is good to about -90. Now I highly recommend a block heater, oil pan heater, and tranny pan heater to start your vehicle and extend drive train life in arctic temps. Batteries do drain faster in the cold so a trickle charger wired in is also a good idea.
I lived in a cabin with no electricity my first couple years here. Each night in the winter I would drain the oil out of my truck and bring it in and set it by the wood stove. In the morning I would pour the warm oil back in the truck wait about 10 min for the heat to soak in to the motor then start. That works pretty well in a pinch.

Now that's hardcore to the floor!

Good advise!

Took a day off from burning to clean the stove inside and out, all the while the sun is streaming thru the windows. Only got to 50(that's plus not minus) but feels great. Just got the stove stocked with wood and ready to light my top down kindling and let her rip...or maybe I'll turn on the oil furnace to get rid of more of my $3 plus oil so I can buy some at less than $2. Gotta love Oregon as three weeks ago we were in a deep freeze in the midst of a 40 year cold/snow event. A week later we were involved in a once every 40 year thaw/rain that sent flood waters everywhere. Today, sunny and 50's...and it's going to continue for another 7 days. It kinda helps make up for the coming months when the sun turns gray - if we see it at all.

syd3006 said:
With rare exceptions this is as cold as it gets in this part of the country.
What part of NWO are you in? I've lived and worked most of my life all across NWO from Kenora to Longlac and often see colder than -40. It was -41F this morning in Fort Frances.

Highs have been in the '80s (F) here for days. The LOWs wont' go below 50 until Saturday (according to Yahoo weather) hasn't gotten cold enough for even a small fire in the FP for days.

If Global Warming is to blame (not saying one way or the other) it's making places that are normally hot and dry more so; and those that are normally cold and wet more of that, too.

Peace,
- Sequoia

snowtime said:
Around here when its cold [-40 and below and no power] a guy uses a tiger torch. Thats a propane blow torch. Its best to use a few lengths 3 of stove pipe with a 90 on the end under the truck. Just put the torch in the end then turn the 90 so its pointing at the block and only heat not flames reaches the oil pan. Have been using that method for gas or diesel machines in winter for 40 years.

Yep I have done the same. I use a weed-burner and a stove pipe. The problems with this is -40 and below the propane wont work unless the bottle was heated first + if you have a oil leek you can build a nice fire under your truck. I have also used a bag of mach-light briquet's and a disposable turkey pan when a rig freezes up in town. Just light the charcoal in the pan then slide it under the oil pan when the flames go out (just as dangerous with a oil leak). Now I just leave the truck run if it is -35 or colder and there is no power. I go hunting up the Haul road every winter for 3-5 days often times it never gets over -50 and down to -75. I take a lot of fuel and leave the truck run.

I heat my tent with wood.

Attachments

• arctic-oven-greenland4B45C.jpg
    arctic-oven-greenland4B45C.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 280
LLigetfa said:
syd3006 said:
With rare exceptions this is as cold as it gets in this part of the country.
What part of NWO are you in? I've lived and worked most of my life all across NWO from Kenora to Longlac and often see colder than -40. It was -41F this morning in Fort Frances.
The dictionary says often means "many times or frequently". I am 50 years old and I have been working at an outdoor job for 31 years, I do not need to check with the weather bureau's records to tell me that temps colder than -40 do not come "often". I live less than 15 minutes from you by the way and I work out of Fort Frances. It was -29 this morning at 5:00.

syd3006 said:
It was -29 this morning at 5:00.
By often, I did not mean more often than not, only that it is not unusual. I was up just before 6:00 this morning and it read below -36C on the three weather sites for Fort Frances while the radio station repeatedly exaggerated it to -41. I'd have to say your thermometer is a little whacked. Yesterday I did see it go to -41.

Backwoods Savage said:
syd3006 said:

Have you been watching? :lol: Seems like I gotta go out with my fearless lab or she will not go! In fact she is so fearless that last night 2 doe ran across the yard and passed me and the dog yelped and ran for the door!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.