cold day cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrendfrey

Jan 15, 2012
green mtns vt
anyone around the woodshed like cutting wood when its cold? -2 here now with about a foot/foot an a half on the ground thinking about taking a ride to the store getting a coffee and head to the wood a cut up some dead trees i got around here. am i crazy? should i stay in or head out? screw it see u guys later

jrendfrey said:
anyone around the woodshed like cutting wood when its cold?
There may be some that enjoy it but I'm not one of them. I like it above 40°F.

jrendfrey said:
anyone around the woodshed like cutting wood when its cold?

Depends on the wind. On a fairly calm day 15-30F feels pretty good for cutting. Too much wind combined with those temps and I stay home.
All depends on the hands/fingers, if you can keep them warm everything else is fine.

Count me in!! I really don't mand colder days for cutting. Once it's cool enough I don't have to worry about snow sticking to gear or getting wet. I cut a bit (less than a tank if it's really cool), load a bit, cut more, load... Switch it up so my hands/feet don't get cold from just standing there bucking.

It's pretty swampy where I tend to cut so a freeze really helps. I have not gotten much done this Winter because the weather have been warm, or windy. Windy enough the the woods are dangerous. There will be lots to do in June/July!

All the best,
Mike P

I'll cut on most any day when it's not windy. If I get too cold I head back to the house for a coffee and then back out again. But I also do prefer temps above 40...that's when I don't want to waste time going back to the house and take a thermos full with me :)

Spring and Fall cutter myself . . . for me winter time = snowmobiling (well normally . . . maybe not this year.)

For me, if it is in the woods and brush, I like cutting in sub-freezing weather and do it every chance I can. The main reason is you don't have to deal the damn bugs (mainly ticks), plus it gets you out doing some excersize when you'd normally be hanging out in the house. I say go for it!!

Depends on the wind for me...cold and wind is no good...I am usually very warm to begin with so my goal is to get everything done before the summer...and then possibly scrounge over the summer for spliting agian in the fall and winter

I'll take working on wood in the winter over our summer heat and humidity every time. Like others said, a cold, still day is ideal to be out in the woods or processing area.

jrendfrey said:
anyone around the woodshed like cutting wood when its cold? -2 here now with about a foot/foot an a half on the ground thinking about taking a ride to the store getting a coffee and head to the wood a cut up some dead trees i got around here. am i crazy? should i stay in or head out? screw it see u guys later

jrendfrey, I don't think I've yet welcomed you to the forum, so welcome!

I do all the cutting during the winter months. We usually start around December 1 and usually are done by March 1. I do have a couple trees down and might cut those up yet but mainly I am now ready to do the splitting and stacking. As for the below zero weather, I do usually stop then. Used to do it when I was a bit younger but now I just wait out the cold spells. I do take extra gloves with me so that when the fingers get cold I can switch gloves. Usually I pack some soapstone blocks in the gloves and wrap them in old towels. It feels super nice to slip on a warm pair of gloves sometimes!

Any temps between 10 & 85 is fine with me though my production & energy level seems to be best between 45 & 70ish.I dont work in the woods with heavy snowcover,lightning or strong winds though.Light rain is no problem.

I don't mind those kind of temps at all for wood cutting. Would much rather do that than in the heat. The snow sometimes can be a little bit bother some but still, again, better than summer cutting. I have many times been out in those conditions. Usually cut from late Fall to Early Spring then get to splitting and stacking.

I do what I can when I can but I prefer to split in the spring and cut in the winter. It doesn't always go to plan though!

Pete

Pallet Pete said:
I do what I can when I can but I prefer to split in the spring and cut in the winter. It doesn't always go to plan though!

Pete

Could not have said it better Pete. "It doesn't always go to plan though"

jrendfrey said:
Welcome to the forum! And NO you are not crazy. I only cut in the winter. I like the cold and frozen ground. I have other things to do during the other seasons. Stacking usually spills over into Spring, mostly because that is the only part I don't like and I procrastinate :cheese:

well thanls for all the reply and the welcomes! it was a beautiful march day it ended up being about 26 degrees today. didnt get too much done got probably 1/2 cord cut but not split hard working with that amount of snow. but i did get my 8 taps in as tomarrow will get into the 50s too bad ill be at work oh well. thanks for all the replys stay warm!!

jrendfrey said:
well thanls for all the reply and the welcomes! it was a beautiful march day it ended up being about 26 degrees today. didnt get too much done got probably 1/2 cord cut but not split hard working with that amount of snow. but i did get my 8 taps in as tomarrow will get into the 50s too bad ill be at work oh well. thanks for all the replys stay warm!!
Sorry, but without pics around here, it didn't happen. :cheese:

Dec-Feb for me. I sweat all summer mowing, I aint sweatin bustin wood too.

I'll cut down to around 20 F. Below that stuff don't seem to work good. Especially me. Lots of times if it's below freezing I build a fire at the woods before I start cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.