Cold Enough for a Snuggle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

First fire of the Season last night. It got cold enough for a fire last night in Dutchess County NY. Not sure why but this year it feels like I have the fever earlier. I guess we didn't have much of a summer therefore i yearn for the warmth. Not to mention that the wife loves it hot. hahaha.

Attachments

• First One.JPG
    First One.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 480
The Dutchwest lights off and does it one more time. Looking good. Came close to buying one of them in 1985.

Hanging around hearth.com makes you wanna light the stove earlier.

Thanks BrotherBart. I love this thing, I inhered it when I purchased the house five years ago and used it ever since. Just did a great deal of maintenance on it over the weekend, including painting it Forrest Green and changing the glass panes. Thing looks brand new.

I'm starting to get jealous of all these first fire threads. We're still in the upper 70's during the day and
mid 50's at night for another week. No rain for last three weeks.

Very similar here in NY northwinds, but over the past few nights it has been very windy which causes to feel colder. I guess cold enough for me to get the fire itch. GO PACKERS.

Low 30's this morning. 60 forecast tonight. Crazy. But at least they are forecasting rain. We haven't had a drop of rain in September. Very dry here.

KatWill, that is a pretty stove.

I am not jealous at all. By December I will be sick of burning and ready for Spring. :red:

But knowing it is gonna keep happening I lugged part of the 2012/2013 wood supply out of the woods today and will split it tomorrow.

Thanks Backwoods Savage. Its an oldie but wgoodie. Loved your earlier post. Very true indeed, we all tend to get a bit over excited at the sight of 65 degree temperature and tend to over burn and like BrotherBart says, by December we will be ready for spring. But knowing how much I hate the high cost of the energy bill, I push on and burn wood.

Came home after taking son to college. It was in the 70's when we left so the windows were open. When we got back it was in the 50's and the house was cool. Wife went brrr. So I broke down and woke the heat pump up from it's slumber. :p

KatWill said:
First fire of the Season last night. It got cold enough for a fire last night in Dutchess County NY. Not sure why but this year it feels like I have the fever earlier. I guess we didn't have much of a summer therefore i yearn for the warmth. Not to mention that the wife loves it hot. hahaha.

I hear you down here in Westchester County. A summer like this one really made me look forward to winter. A new stove and the best supply of wood I've ever had doesn't hurt either. I find that the hotter it is in the house, the less clothing my wife wears.

Now you talking Flatbedford, and like they say... Less is Always More. hahahahahaha.. Where abouts in Westchester County are ya?

Just North of Croton on Hudson, about 1500 feet from the river. You?

OH ok. yea, I am in Beacon. Right up the road from ya. Yea Croton gets the cold wind off the Hudson and gets nippy at nights.

Might be windy, but I think the river keeps us warm too. My sister lives about 5 miles form me in Cortlandt Manor. I've left her house in snow and it's raining at my house. She's also a couple hundred feet higher elevation than me. I'm only about 30' above the river level.

Thanks Wet1. Just painted it Hunter Green. It was black and the Glass Panes were all burnt. replaced those very cheaply.

KatWill, you did a real nice job on the stove, looks beautiful! Love the color, very Classy.

BrotherBart said:
Hanging around hearth.com makes you wanna light the stove earlier.

Very true BrotherBart :lol:
Its been cool at night here in Long Island at night but I'm not ready to fire her up just yet. But I did stack a pile of wood 10'x10'x6'H yesterday so I am ready for this season. By the smell of it someone was burning wood last night in my neighborhood. Being around all that wood yesterday & smelling the smoke was too much to bear, got the cast iron chimenea going, got a couple of cold beers & who needs TV.

Cheers!

We've been burning outside at night lately. THe old smoke dragon is great on the deck, and the pipe keeps the smoke out of our eyes.
IMG00198599x798.jpg

Thats a mean looking Dragon Steve.
Hey do you get your wood delivered from Garrison Tree Service up on 9A? Or do you cut your own?

I am a Craig's List Scrounger. I used to buy from Golden Tree in Montrose. His wood was always good. This will be my first year with an adequate, well seasoned, FREE wood supply.

OH so you got it for Free... wow.. I will keep an eye out on Craigslist. So you just searched for Free Wood on Craigslist for the Westchester area? Good to know. I have been getting mine from this guy in Fishkill but I havent heard back from him. Called him last week.

Thanks.

I check the free section of Craig's List New York City and Hudson Valley almost every day. I've gotten lucky a couple times this year with trees that people had cut, but didn't have the wood removed. One was uncut logs, the other was cut to length, but not split. There is no truly free firewood. I still work hard for it, but I, and a lot of the people on this forum enjoy working with firewood.
Here's one for you.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/zip/1382971449.html

Flatbedford said:
There is no truly free firewood. I still work hard for it, but I, and a lot of the people on this forum enjoy working with firewood.

Aint that the truth! Dig the old smoke Dragon, thats great, good ambiance.

My neighbors have one of those fire pits from Home Depot. It just doesn't make heat like the old, (now kinda rusty) stove.

KatWill said:
Thanks Wet1. Just painted it Hunter Green. It was black and the Glass Panes were all burnt. replaced those very cheaply.

Stove looks fantastic! I have never heard of ceramic glass referred to as cheap lol

Got 4" this morning, my stove has been cranking all weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.