COLD fresh air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirgio

Nov 23, 2007
Alberta
I am currently running a P61A in a newly built 850 sq ft shop. Due to the fact it is well insulated and only 2 small windows, i decided to run a line for the fresh air intake with aluminum dryer vent. On a cold night, the intake line gets covered with a thin layer of frost. Has anyone had experience with this and do you know if this can cause any condensation/rust issues with the stove? Thanks for any insight,

I have a new p61 and fresh air line also. Mine is plastic that the dealer installed, and it gets dripping with condensation. Even makes a tiny puddle on the hearth pad. One of the members here wrapped his with insulation from Lowes. Im going to do that next week. Yours is icing because of the metal duct work I would guess. It figures hot vs cold equals moisture, so I suppose its to be expected. Although I did question the dealer, and has yet to get back to me. Let us know how you make out.

That condensation on the outside of the hose? You are chilling the tube and the inside moisture of the building is condensing, if that's the case. Should not affect the inside of the stove, as the drier outside air is actually being used for burning.

It will not hurt anything....you can get some insulation to wrap it in if this bothers you.

Possibly it's helping your stove burn better as it's using colder outside air w/ more oxygen and less moisture in it.

I was planning on driving down and getting some of the pipe to use as an outside air kit but I dont want to brave all the crazies yet.

Just a thought, you might try insulated flexible ducting. I used it to transfer heat to my office in my old store. Worked well, it was aluminium lined and skinned with a compacted fiberglass layer between.

Status
Not open for further replies.