Cold in New England

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Five below zero up where I work in the Adirondacks. Two above down here in the Mohawk Valley where I live. You don't want to know about the wind chill. And we got about four inches of fresh snow.

Sad to say, that's all gonna seem relatively mild before long.

Yes, we had that roll thru michigan yesterday/last night. Supposed to get back up into the mid 40's this weekend and early part of next week.

Made a point of waking up at around 3 am and toss a few more logs on so everthing was nice and warm for 5 am wake up of the rest of the family. Worked out well.

I told the dog she was on her own last night, no walkin here! She only stayed out a few minutes and had enough. She headed straight to in front of the insert we she came back in. KD

Ha, my dog is a female of royal lineage. She will rarely do her full business without the whole song and dance routine. After all, when your ancestors were allowed to go anywhere and the servants cleaned up.....well, it sort of spoils you!

When it gets really cold, I shovel out a relatively smaller area - and then I have to talk to her "Show me where" about 10 times before she will go.

On the good side, she never goes in the house.

Dylan,

How could the surface moisture be sublimating? Sublimation requires a phase change from solid to vapor which skips the liquid phase. Unless you're not referring to surface moisture in terms of water. In which case, I'm confused.

Webmaster said:
Ha, my dog is a female of royal lineage. She will rarely do her full business without the whole song and dance routine. After all, when your ancestors were allowed to go anywhere and the servants cleaned up.....well, it sort of spoils you!

When it gets really cold, I shovel out a relatively smaller area - and then I have to talk to her "Show me where" about 10 times before she will go.

On the good side, she never goes in the house.

Boy if that doesrnt sound like my dog !!!!!!!! And i thouht it was cold her.BIRRRRRRRRR!

Webmaster said:
19 degrees mid-day

Winds gusting to 40MPH.

That must be quite a chill factor! OK, the report says about 3 degrees.

Just took the dog for a short walk around the house - not too bad with gloves, a knit cap and a warm jacket.

i have been walking around with my "flag pole " all day because of this weather to bad it will be 50 on sun
i am here in west mass with you

It was a nice day for a motorcycle ride... Of course in my book EVERY day is a nice day for a ride, just some days are nicer than others.

Days like this can be amusing though to watch all the cold people in the automobiles waiting for their heaters to come on, or running in and out of buildings in their light weight jackets. I'm sitting on my bike, nice and warm because I'm dressed for the weather!

Gooserider

Big Eric said:
We just got rid of the cold spell today. Down to 3 above overnight, but calm winds. House is warm though. Winds switched to a southerly direction today and the temp was above freezing. Hold on, relief is coming. I see Alaska is running normal right now so we should be in a normal pattern for a while now if my theory continues to hold true.

hold on...????? I am dissapointed.... I wait all year for this weather and now it comes late and is leaving after a day or 2

very dissapointed

iceman said:
Big Eric said:
We just got rid of the cold spell today. Down to 3 above overnight, but calm winds. House is warm though. Winds switched to a southerly direction today and the temp was above freezing. Hold on, relief is coming. I see Alaska is running normal right now so we should be in a normal pattern for a while now if my theory continues to hold true.

hold on...????? I am dissapointed.... I wait all year for this weather and now it comes late and is leaving after a day or 2

very dissapointed

Ditto! Gonna be 50 by Sunday and upper 40's to mid 50's by mid week. I really hate Global Warming!

Temps warmer here now, almost 50 by day, 40 by night. Fires only lit at night for a few hours. I went for a walk yesterday and noticed hazelnuts in bloom with fresh catkins and saw a lilac with budding leaves. Never saw that in early Dec. before.

It was a little cold hanging 110' off the crane yesterday in Canton. I hope it warms up a little today.

earthharvester said:
It was a little cold hanging 110' off the crane yesterday in Canton. I hope it warms up a little today.

Thinking about you hanging off of that crane would give me a chill in July!

Well Eh I hear you I setup my normal job saw horses, cords outside. to do all the cutting no heat inside where I'm framing.
Never got warm, the cold was bothering me I dressed but when your mind set is not into it it is hard not to notice -below wind chills
I tried to fight it a few hours then said screw this You know its cold when the skill saw makes a strange sound like do I really have to work in these conditions
so I go to the bank for the weekend cash and run into Joey Kramer the drummer for Aerosmith I told him to get his skate sharpened. if the cold stays long enough,
we will be sakting in front of his house.

Elk someone told me he lived in town but I wasn't sure. Today was a little warmer. We were working over by the stadium taking down trees next to route 1

Status
Not open for further replies.