Cold Missouri Weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ed

Greetings All and Happy New Year!

I am understanding what you all told me about going through more wood than I thought I would once I was burning 24/7. We have some very cold temps now and this week will be the worst we have seen in 20 years. I am already starting to look for another coupon for Midwest Premium Firewood (my local dealer...they are top notch) so I can make the next cord a little cheaper.

I hope you all are hunkering down and making it OK. I'd imagine it is worse up further north.

Don Ed

It was 4 degrees here this morning and 8 right now, just dropped to 7 Northstar cruising along downstars its 75 upstairs furnace has not run since this morning.We where gone for 1:00 to 6:00 got to love wood heat.

Hmm. Maybe time to add a weather forum here.

Don Ed said:
Greetings All and Happy New Year!

I am understanding what you all told me about going through more wood than I thought I would once I was burning 24/7. We have some very cold temps now and this week will be the worst we have seen in 20 years. I am already starting to look for another coupon for Midwest Premium Firewood (my local dealer...they are top notch) so I can make the next cord a little cheaper.

I hope you all are hunkering down and making it OK. I'd imagine it is worse up further north.

Don Ed

Starting tonight until Monday we are suppose to get up to 14 inches of snow and wind gust up to 40 mph.

zap

It's nothing like Winterpeg in Southern Ontario but it was -27c with the wind here today...I think that's about 16 degrees F closer to 17.

Crazy winds in northeast PA and temps should hit 10 degrees tonight. I thought I would only burn a couple of cords this year, only burning at night and on weekends. But I am so addicted to using my stove, I will run out of wood by the end of this month. I am starting to look at my mother's old furniture with keen interest!

BeGreen said:

not a bad idea

Also on other boards I belong to ( non hearth related) alot of people put a weather sticker in their sig from weather underground that displays current conditions for their zip code, kinda cool. I tried to make it work for me on this site but for some reason I can't do it

here is a link
http://www.wunderground.com/geo/BannerPromo/US/WA/Everett.html

It was -30 last night and is -25 right now in downtown Bruno MN. 30 miles s of Duluth. I'm going through the wood today.
Doug

djblech said:
It was -30 last night and is -25 right now in downtown Bruno MN. 30 miles s of Duluth. I'm going through the wood today.
Doug

Holy f**k, that's cold!

With windchill it is -7 over here and I am b!tching about the fact that the Intrepid can't keep up.

here in overland MO thermometer showing 8 F now and the house is at 74 F, it was 4 F when I got up this morning. I think I used about twice as much wood as normal in the last two days, but my gas furnace has not ran.

I've been burning 24/7 for the last 2 weeks here in NW Arkansas. It's been as warm as 70 deg. this time of the year in previous years, but not this year. Highs have not hit 40 in weeks.

BrowningBAR said:
djblech said:
Doug

Holy f**k, that's cold!

With windchill it is -7 over here and I am b!tching about the fact that the Intrepid can't keep up.

Suck it up Browning. :p
Welcome to the club Doug. :lol:
The colder it gets, the warmer it will feel when it warms up. Stay warm you guys. Im pulling for ya. It would be nice if it was that warm here. Heading out ice fishin this AM anyways. Gonna have a big fire out there on the ice today.
Cheers

Its 17 here in Dutchess County NY, but there is a howling wind outside which makes the real feel temp about 7. I have both Wood and Pellet stoves going and the temperature on my first floor is 75 and on the second floor 81. The wife and kids love it. Went snow tubing yesterday and the temp was 10 and windy as all hell came back home and the house was nice and toast. Happy Burning Hearth Family.

north of 60 said:
BrowningBAR said:
djblech said:
Holy f**k, that's cold!
Suck it up Browning. :p
Welcome to the club Doug. :lol:
What, no sympathy for the Southern boys?

-38°C here and now. Had an old boss that said if you're looking for sympathy, try the dictionary. If you find syphilis, you went too far.

Ja, going through lots of wood now but that was the whole purpose of packing it in the shed. Seeing as I'm on the 49th and that we have NW winds, I think this weather is coming from north of 60.

At 2:00am it was -20°F/-29°C, then it clouded over and warmed up to -8°F/-23°C. The more wood I burn the better! I like everything about wood heat and making firewood. I burn at least one real cord of seasoned oak in my firepit every summer just so I have an excuse to make more. I even sell some and give away more. To me, this cold weather is what it's all about. I love it!

And I also think, like BeGreen said, a weather forum here would be really neat. I'm sort of a weather buff. Although since this is a discussion board about wood heat, I guess the whole thing is sort of weather related already.

Wind and single digit temp. here this morning with prediction for it to remain about the same for the next couple of days. I started burning sooner and So far i'm burning wood at a much higher rate than last year.

quads said:
I like everything about wood heat and making firewood.
I like the burning part the best. Like Emeril Lagasse would say, time to kick it up a notch. Not so much the "BAM"... though I do hear that too when she starts expanding.

I'm for a weather section here. It would be interesting to compare weather events through the burning season. How can we make that happen?

COLD WEATHER IN THE USA

60 above zero.  Floridians turn the heat on.  People in the Midwest plant gardens.

50 above zero.  Californians shiver uncontrollably.  People in the Midwest sunbathe.

40 above zero.  Italian and English cars won't start.  People in the Midwest drive with the windows down.

32 above zero.  Distilled water freezes. Lake Michigan's water gets thicker.

20 above zero.  Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and hats.  People in the Midwest throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero.  New York landlords finally turn on the heat. People in the Midwest have the last cookout before it turns cold.

Zero.  People in Miami die - or return to Cuba.  Midwesterners close the windows.

10 below zero.  Californians go to Mexico.  People in the Midwest get out their Winter coats.

25 below zero.  Hollywood disintegrates.  Girl Scouts in the Midwest are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero.  Washington DC runs out of hot air.  People in the Midwest let their dogs sleep inside, toss an extra log on the fire.

100 below zero.  Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.  People in the Midwest (New England transplants) get frustrated because "the caah won't staaht, betta staaht a faah.".

275 below zero.  All atomic motion stops.  (Absolute zero on the Kelvin scale).  People in the Midwest finally stop saying "cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below zero.  Hell freezes over.  No one in Michigan is surprised because it explains why we have the lowest unemployment in the nation.

Aye,
Marty

Marty S said:
COLD WEATHER IN THE USA...
COLD WEATHER IN CANADA
Canadians play outdoor hockey.
Toronto Mayor calls in the Army.
Water in the Nipigon River NEVER freezes.

BeGreen said:

It might prove interesting.

Don- It certainly appears that we will be going through the coldest weather period around here in a long time. December of 2000 was the last time we really had a prolonged period of cold weather like this. However, it is nothing as severe as it was during Christmas 1989.

I actually like the cold weather for a change. One thing I like to do and rarely get the opportunity to do is cross country skiing and ice boating. It looks like I going to get to do one or both.

A weather forum would be nice - as it does relate in many ways.

It's brutal in NNJ today 16 and the wind howling with light snow - my stove is struggling to get the job done. Kills me, but I had to let the propane heat kick in for the wife and kids. It was 61 in the house and that's just too cold. My stove does just fine when the temps are normal, but when we get these Canadian Blasts, it struggles. Oh well, it's been a fairly mild one so far, I guess it's about time winter really showed up. No break for the next 10 days.

Can't compete with you Minnesotans and Canadians, but last night was low teens with 30 mph NW winds, gusting to 50. Been a cold December and looks to be a cold first half of January. Time to pull out the stops and burn at capacity. This morning, we all were wearing tee shirts because it was too warm for long sleeves. These are the days that we enjoy having the wood stove best - the payoff for all the work!

As Jay Leno would say, it is so cold out there, that the lawyers have their hands in their own pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.