Cold outside temp, better buring stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I'm amazed at what a bit of a difference in temp can do with regards to the stove burning. This weekend it was cold in So. VT..single digits Saturday...-0 with the wind. The Jotul chugged along great though! It seemed that it didn't take as long for new splits to light off and I could back the air control down sooner. It warmed up to the 20's on Sunday. After getting back from skiing...I had the downstairs up to 74F.

Skier76 said:
I'm amazed at what a bit of a difference in temp can do with regards to the stove burning. This weekend it was cold in So. VT..single digits Saturday...-0 with the wind. The Jotul chugged along great though! It seemed that it didn't take as long for new splits to light off and I could back the air control down sooner. It warmed up to the 20's on Sunday. After getting back from skiing...I had the downstairs up to 74F.

Agreed, when outside temps are 0-20 degrees the stoves need to run at 550 (up to 650 for the Intrepid). to maintain indoor temps. When the outside temp is 30+ degrees the stoves can cruise at about 400 to maintain the indoor temps

We burned a lot of wood in northern NH this weekend, but were able to maintain temps in the mid 70s with stovetop temps about 550.

Am I correct that the 3rd week of January is the highest probability of having arctic temps and after that the chances start to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.