Cold rooms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boisblancboy

Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
My wood stove is in the living room and directly connected to it is two bed rooms. The bed rooms aren't quite as warm as the living room but of course significantly get colder if the doors are shut.

Well I have an idea I wanted to run by everyone to see what their thoughts were. There is one furnace vent in the bedroom and one right next to the wood stove. My idea is to connect those two vents together with a 6" inline duct fan and pull the cold air to the wood stove, thus pulling the warmer air into the bed room.

I know it won't do much good if the door is shut. Also if it works ill wire a thermostat in.

What's your opinions?

I would not compromise the original heating system. Instead I would install a dedicated, insulated flex duct run that extracts cool air from the bedroom and blows it into the stove room. You may also be able to do this with a simple quiet wall fan that uses the wall cavity as a duct if these areas share a common wall.

I can't try the wall cavity idea, don't have the room for it.

If I used the existing and it works ill run a dedicated one. This is just the trial and error stage. I'm just not sure how it will work or if anyone has done this before.

The room I'm trying to warm up is only 10x14 and if it warmed up 5 degrees would be huge I think.

Can't you just use a small fan set in the doorway?

You certainly can get a small one that is almost silent. Just don't get one with big blades and expect it to be silent as it won't be. Small and set on low speed is the key.

I have a Tjernlund Aireshare and LOVE IT!!!

They are costly. But very quiet and also very effective. Even with the door closed. The bottom of the door has a 1.5" crack and acts as a cold air return

Status
Not open for further replies.