Cold Snap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
In the past.. I would be complaining up a storm, listening to the oil boiler NEVER shutting off.

Instead.. I marvel at the 'christmas tree' (all the zones calling for heat) and chuck a few more logs on the boiler.. and now REALLY understand what Mark at AHONA meant when I sized the boiler for 'catch up'

Woke to within 5degrees storage temp of oil coming on.. and been supplying loads AND charging storage with my morning coffee.

LOVE my wood boiler.

JP photo.JPG

I'm still making it to early afternoon before having to start a burn, but I guess it's downright tropical here still this morning at 'only' -22c. Wind is supposed to pick up later today though with a bit of a temp drop.

My thousand gallons was 195 top to bottom at 11pm. When I woke up at 515, it was about 145. That's a LOT of heat in 6 hours. about max for the house. 90 to 100k per hour.

Its 12 degrees F with strong winds here. House at 79 F lol Overshot my desired temp a little.

Close to 40 below here last weekend and beginning of the week.We would start the boiler around 1 PM and run it till midnight each day to maintain a 18C house temp.
I just love our quad pane windows,almost totally frost free,about a 1/4" square in each corner.
We have a huge heat exchanger core that I'm using for temporary heat on the main floor,it's about 4'x6'.I supply it with 3X 1/2" pex.I have only run it on one line so far,but after 3 days we had to turn on 1 more.I noticed the same thing when i was working on the house,and my theory is it takes a few days for the cold to force it's way through the logs.
It's warmed up to -14C and we are back to starting a fire at 5pm firing till 11pm.
Right now I'm able to get the storage to 185F according to my IR gun.The aquastate on top of my boiler is shutting it down at the same reading on top the boiler,but the stat is set at max which is 200F.The gauge on the boiler gets to 180F,and the readout on the control reads 183 when the fan shuts off.
Some day i hope to get some gauges on the storage to better monitor it.
Allways something to do.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.