COLD tonight!! Will the Englander do it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only been burning for a few weeks, but my body has already started to adjust to the dopr in temp at nite, prompting me to get up at 3 or 4 am to reload. Wish I had one of those all-nite burning high efficiency stoves everyone talks about...

derbygreg said:
Yep, plan to reload, I frequently sleep on the couch so I can reload.

Haha. That's me as well. The best bed in the house when it's cold is the couch in the living room. I usually don't use a blanket, and I'll wake up when it's time to reload automatically.

TheFlame said:
Haha. That's me as well. The best bed in the house when it's cold is the couch in the living room. I usually don't use a blanket, and I'll wake up when it's time to reload automatically.

I bet a lot of us do this.

-8 - now that is cold. here in columbus its a balmy 15 degrees.

We are headed for 11 degrees tonight. Cold for around here. Brownie is loaded up and cranking.

cmonSTART said:
Yikes, -12F already at 10:20PM. The awful part is neither of us were home today to keep it going to warm the house up, so we started cold.

Bummer. I sweated us out of here today pre-heating this joint for tonight.

I've been burning for exactly 1 week so I'm still learning how to work it...

My new 13 has been great so far! Last night at around 11:30 I loaded with 3 large splits of Cherry on a real nice bed of coals. I had a "trough" cut down the middle in front of the air inlet and got her up to around 600*. Then I shut the air down to almost closed and went to bed. It dropped to the low single digits outside but inside, it was a nice 72. In the morning around 7, I had a great bed of coals that I put a couple small splits on and it sprang back to life with no effort at all. It was still 70 inside and still in the mid single digits outside. This little Englander is great!

And best of all, the propane tank hasn't been touched in a week.

Hunter

cmonSTART said:
It's already -8F outside. I think I'm going to get up in the middle of the night and reload the stove. Anyone have any advice?
Insulation?
What size of space are you heating with your 30? That's one heat monster.

OK. We need an update here. How did it do??

Status
Not open for further replies.