Cold/Warm side of the house pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
One side the thermometer reads -10°f
Other side -3°f
7° warmer on one side is nice, still cold, but noticeable.
Getting 7° from the sun now :)

Attachments

• 100_7146.jpg
    100_7146.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_7150.jpg
    100_7150.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 386
Dave you have a beautiful slice of heaven there :) Its very nice looking and warm at 7 °F :lol:

Pete

- 3 on the sunny side, -10 on the shady side
Pic of the -3° area. (sunny side)

Attachments

• 100_7153.jpg
    100_7153.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 342
How much wood do you use in a year up there in Alaska Dave?

Pete

Last year (full season) 5-1/2 cords. 1st year with the new BK-k & cat. Old stove was about 10 cords.
This year I'm using more, maybe 6+ cords by the end of burn season. Colder than average winter for my location.
Was -20°f last night. to get into the teens Sunday night, maybe 20s next week, more normal for here. (40° temp increase) :)

bogydave said:
Last year (full season) 5-1/2 cords. 1st year with the new BK-k & cat. Old stove was about 10 cords.
This year I'm using more, maybe 6+ cords by the end of burn season. Colder than average winter for my location.
Was -20°f last night. to get into the teens Sunday night, maybe 20s next week, more normal for here. (40° temp increase) :)

That is very impressive cut back on wood usage nice job Dave.

Pete

Hit a high of -5* at my place. Back down to -15* now. 4:45PM.

warmed up to -19 f here today in the knik river valley, we dont get the sun touching us for another month.

Since I'm too lazy to look this up, how many hours of sun up there now Dave? Also whats the approximate sun angle this time of year? A C

hey dave dont you think you should chase in that exterior chimney?

It's around 9hrs or so. Gets light around 8:30ish and dark around 5:30.

amateur cutter said:
Since I'm too lazy to look this up, how many hours of sun up there now Dave? Also whats the approximate sun angle this time of year? A C

amateur cutter said:

7-1/2 hours now, gaining 5 min+ per day, 10° sun angle
Sunrise a bit later here, has to come over the mts. Sunset time is pretty close

Sunrise/sunset link for Anchorage, (25 miles So. of here) :
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=18

Length of day Solar noon
Date Sunrise Sunset This day Difference Time Altitude Distance
(106 km)
Jan 28, 2012 9:30 AM 4:55 PM 7h 24m 57s + 5m 06s 1:12 PM 10.7° 147.332

im jealous has been a steady -53 up here all day and we are just now at around 6 hours of daylight

10.7 degree sun angle, crap, no wonder it's so freakin cold up there. Thanks for the info, I find it fascinating. Oh yeah, & throw another log on the fire too. A C

The low angle is annoying, gets right in your eyes while driving. I work an afternoon shift and for the last couple weeks it's been pretty bad.

bsj425 said:
im jealous has been a steady -53 up here all day and we are just now at around 6 hours of daylight

That is just crazy. The beauty of the land is simply not enough draw for me to put up with that kind of extremes, however. I am currently 101 degrees warmer than that (48F).

We are up to +5°f already, house is over 74, finally can turn the stove down a notch. :)

Jags said:
bsj425 said:

That is just crazy. The beauty of the land is simply not enough draw for me to put up with that kind of extremes, however. I am currently 101 degrees warmer than that (48F).

It's surely beautiful to visit. I was up in Anchorage/Seward/Denali in July 08.
Crazy as Hell seein snow on the peaks in July...

DAKSY said:
Jags said:
bsj425 said:

It's surely beautiful to visit. I was up in Anchorage/Seward/Denali in July 08.
Crazy as Hell seein snow on the peaks in July...

No doubt that it is gorgeous. I would love to visit (again). By visit, I mean leave before the cold hits. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.