Cold Weather Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
OTHER ISSUE WILL CONCERN THE COLD ARCTIC AIRMASS THAT WILL
OVERSPREAD THE ENTIRE REGION FOR THE UPCOMING WEEKEND. OVERNIGHT
LOWS WILL DROP DOWN TO -10F TO -20F AND -15F TO -30F FOR SATURDAY
AND SUNDAY NIGHTS RESPECTIVELY.

Looks like our area might drop down to -28 on Sunday night, looks like we'll be going through some hardwood this weekend.

zap

zapny said:

Looks like our area might drop down to -28 on Sunday night, looks like we'll be going through some hardwood this weekend.

zap

Snow is here now and the cold blast is right behind it! Now go get the good stuff!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Snow is here now and the cold blast is right behind it! Now go get the good stuff!

Two 4x4 racks filled with Sugar Maple plus tonight we'll push in some Cherry and fill the other 4x4 rack which should get us through until February I hope. Looks like the snow in our area will only be 1-3 inches.

zap

It will get cold here too Zap but nothing like what you will have. It is really nice today. All morning was a joy to be outdoors. No wind! It can get cold but still feel great sometimes and this was just one of those mornings that are rare. Sure wish I could cut some wood.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Two 4x4 racks filled with Sugar Maple plus tonight we'll push in some Cherry and fill the other 4x4 rack which should get us through until February I hope. Looks like the snow in our area will only be 1-3 inches.

zap

I have a cord stack of red oak beech and mulberry...Will fill my little trailer 20 cubic ft up when I get home and back it right up to the furnace.....Should make it till Feb. But sure I will keep topping it off for the next storm. "This one whats its all about though". DEEP FREEZE!

I told the wife we would be going through some hardwood this weekend, she said yea right.

Backwoods Savage said:
It will get cold here too Zap but nothing like what you will have. It is really nice today. All morning was a joy to be outdoors. No wind! It can get cold but still feel great sometimes and this was just one of those mornings that are rare. Sure wish I could cut some wood.

low of 7 here tonight Dennis and hi of 9 Friday and throw 20-25 mph winds its going to be down right COLD!

22 now was 31 just a couple hours ago so its droping pretty quick!

oldspark said:
I told the wife we would be going through some hardwood this weekend, she said yea right.

She must be related to my wife.

Not going to be nearly as cold here as up where you polar folks live, but still it's going to be the coldest weather this year, and single digits is cold enough, so I'll be burning my best stuff that's ready, mulberry and dogwood should work, I have some oak but I think I'll save that for next year I don't think it's quite ready to put it's best foot forward.

I was sitting watching TV last night & the house got warm. I looked, the temp inside the house went to 75.
I ran to the stove to see if it was cranking or getting too hot.
No, all good there.
I looked on the back deck, saw some snow, & checked the thermometer, 14°f. It warmed up 20+ degrees. That's why the house temp went up.
Turned down the stove "T-stat" & there in a 1/2 load of small splits to get through the night. House 72 this am.
May get a chance to turn to "high" & burn down the coals & clean the stove. :)
I knew right then that some really cold air was headed somewhere.
I checked the weather this am, we are to get into the 30s this weekend.
More cold air going somewhere,
Enjoy it :)

10 outside right now,supposed to be -12 by sunrise tommorow,coldest night since Jan 2010. 2 inches snow by afternoon with high around 10. Forecast calling for temps near 30 by Monday,I'll believe it when it actually happens.

Ya snow for us tonight into Friday.Saturday begins the real cold.I'll be running both stoves with maple,locust and elm.Some say single digits to zero and below.This will be a true test for many of us wood burners and our choice of stoves.Though I do notice the stoves seem to run better the colder it gets.Hope this is true for all,take care.

bogydave said:
I was sitting watching TV last night & the house got warm. I looked, the temp inside the house went to 75.
No, all good there.
I looked on the back deck, saw some snow, & checked the thermometer, 14°f. It warmed up 20+ degrees. That's why the house temp went up.
Turned down the stove "T-stat" & there in a 1/2 load of small splits to get through the night. House 72 this am.
I knew right then that some really old air was headed somewhere.

Take it back. It's only suppost to be that cold in alaska and canada.

woodsmaster said:
bogydave said:
No, all good there.
I knew right then that some really old air was headed somewhere.

Take it back. It's only suppost to be that cold in alaska and canada.

HA HA
I grew up in Western PA, I remember it used to get cold there.
I remember one deer season, hunting in below zero temps.
I don't know if the is normal or abnormal weather but we have very little snow, have had
some weeks below zero & some weeks in the 30s.
I know I'd vote for more weeks in the 30s.
But know the -20s are coming.

Temps are droping like a rock oh and the winds make it stick!

smokinjay said:
Temps are droping like a rock oh and the winds make it stick!

Smokin this will be our sugar maple splits for the cold weather coming in, the second picture is a 6x6 split. I had three of those in last week with two cherry splits on top which gave us a 10 hour burn.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2501.jpg
    100_2501.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 795
  • 100_2502.jpg
    100_2502.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 786
Looks good, better get Your Blaze On! Wow the wind really lets you enjoy it. Plowed for an hour. Its cold enough to make your head hurt.....

Woke up to -20°C this morning. I told the wife to let the fire go out in the afternoon so that I can clean out the ashes when I get home from work since the temps were forecast to go down as the day progressed. She decided to do some hot ash removal herself rather than let the fire go out and leave it for me. She's a keeper.

-30°C right now, going down to -34°C.

Heading down to -20 F tonight. Wind gusts of 20 mph from the northwest. 71 inside now after a seven
hour burn cycle. I'm going through some wood but haven't needed to use the insert this week. Maybe
tomorrow morning.

-5 F with a wind chill of -24 F right now, just loaded the stove with Oak, as long as the wind stays in the north I'm good.

LLigetfa said:
Woke up to -20°C this morning. I told the wife to let the fire go out in the afternoon so that I can clean out the ashes when I get home from work since the temps were forecast to go down as the day progressed. She decided to do some hot ash removal herself rather than let the fire go out and leave it for me. She's a keeper.

-30°C right now, going down to -34°C.

lol Shes a keeper!

Looks like everybody is cold. Snow hit us last night and today...5 in. Now the cold....0 degrees F tonight, and 25 mph winds. Sure am glad the wood shed still has a good supply. Zap, you can keep that -28 stuff..jikes

tfdchief said:
Looks like everybody is cold. Snow hit us last night and today...5 in. Now the cold....0 degrees F tonight, and 25 mph winds. Sure am glad the wood shed still has a good supply. Zap, you can keep that -28 stuff..jikes

It will be a test for the Liberty heating from the basement. Started building up the heat in the house tonight with the downstairs at 81 and the upstairs at 70 with the outside temps at 16 tonight.

Just hope I can get one day of cutting in this weekend.

zap

It will be a test for the Liberty heating from the basement. Started building up the heat in the house tonight with the downstairs at 81 and the upstairs at 70 with the outside temps at 16 tonight.

Just hope I can get one day of cutting in this weekend.

zap
Sounds like you have a plan. I can keep up in these cold temps during the day, but fall behind at night and the furnace runs. This kind of cold is the only time it runs and with a natural gas bill of $28 last month (for heating water) I shouldn't gripe, 'cause it isn't that big a deal or even the main reason I burn. But, it urks me just the same. I sure wish I had the stove in the kitchen my wife wants installed and I bet I could keep up with no problem....and twice the pleasure! Hope you can stay warm. Let us know if you actually get -28. I don't think in all the time I have lived here in central IL I ever remember anything below -23. However, when it gets that cold, I'm not sure it makes much difference. :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.