Cold Weather Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tfdchief said:
It will be a test for the Liberty heating from the basement. Started building up the heat in the house tonight with the downstairs at 81 and the upstairs at 70 with the outside temps at 16 tonight.

Just hope I can get one day of cutting in this weekend.

zap
Sounds like you have a plan. I can keep up in these cold temps during the day, but fall behind at night and the furnace runs. This kind of cold is the only time it runs and with a natural gas bill of $28 last month (for heating water) I shouldn't gripe, 'cause it isn't that big a deal or even the main reason I burn. But, it urks me just the same. I sure wish I had the stove in the kitchen my wife wants installed and I bet I could keep up with no problem....and twice the pleasure! Hope you can stay warm. Let us know if you actually get -28. I don't think in all the time I have lived here in central IL I ever remember anything below -23. However, when it gets that cold, I'm not sure it makes much difference. :ahhh:

We already had -22 so whats 6 more degrees below zero. :vampire: I'll keep you updated on the outside temps and also the inside temps.

zap

-1 wind chill -16

-41°C now with 5km/h wind. School busses cancelled.

LLigetfa said:

WOW does -41 feel any different than say -20?

smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:

Yikes, I am sure it does! -3 here and I thought that was COLD :sick:

tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:

yea, 24 degrees differance......lol sure make a -3 feel pretty good.

Got up to -3 outside house was a nice 72 loaded the stove after a 7 hour burn had to break out the hickory lol Reloaded with osage and a piece of red oak. Great thing about the midwest alot of great hardwoods in our area. Stay warm all, I figured a break from cutting was due today

Warmed right up to a toasty -23°C now with 15km/h winds. Which way to the beach? Time to call it a week and go home to a nice warm house so I can bring Mrs. LL some more firewood. I made sure to fill the storage box for her this morning and I put a roaring fire on to warm the house for her.

PFFT! So I get home to an empty house with just a few coals in the stove and the furnace running. Oh well... at least the wood box still has lots of wood and I got to take out some ashes.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:
It will get cold here too Zap but nothing like what you will have. It is really nice today. All morning was a joy to be outdoors. No wind! It can get cold but still feel great sometimes and this was just one of those mornings that are rare. Sure wish I could cut some wood.

low of 7 here tonight Dennis and hi of 9 Friday and throw 20-25 mph winds its going to be down right COLD!

22 now was 31 just a couple hours ago so its droping pretty quick!

Jay, you get a lot hotter than us in the summer and many times you get much colder than we do. We can thank the Great Lakes for that! It sort of moderates our temperatures most of the time.

17 outside now with SW wind @7MPH.High of 20-25 today & tommorow.Warmest its been here since Monday afternoon.Its not a 'thaw' but I'll take whatever I can get this time of year.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:
It will get cold here too Zap but nothing like what you will have. It is really nice today. All morning was a joy to be outdoors. No wind! It can get cold but still feel great sometimes and this was just one of those mornings that are rare. Sure wish I could cut some wood.

low of 7 here tonight Dennis and hi of 9 Friday and throw 20-25 mph winds its going to be down right COLD!

22 now was 31 just a couple hours ago so its droping pretty quick!

Jay, you get a lot hotter than us in the summer and many times you get much colder than we do. We can thank the Great Lakes for that! It sort of moderates our temperatures most of the time.

I have frozen body and water pipes.......Lol Living out in the country is tough with out wind blocks. Growing trees as fast as I can. Next purcase WIND-GEN..... Oh Gas furnace is down as well.....Pure Wood Power and its me or Mother Nature going to WIN this fight to day...lol She is Kicking my @ss! Bright side the wood furnace is now blazing with 2 year old mulberry beech and white oak. Couple hours and I will give her a run for the money.

smokinjay said:
Lol Living out in the country is tough with out wind blocks.

Isn't that the truth, even worse on a ridge. I'd probably burn half the wood if I was 3/4 mile away and 500 ft down on a mature treed city block in the valley.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Lol Living out in the country is tough with out wind blocks.

Isn't that the truth, even worse on a ridge. I'd probably burn half the wood if I was 3/4 mile away and 500 ft down on a mature treed city block in the valley.
Ja, but that wind is drying your wood in heaps. I don't do so well with heaps.

It's fairly flat here and the house is well treed in so it takes some of the edge off the wind. I often see 2 to 5 degrees warmer on my outdoor thermometers than what the weather service reports out at the International Falls MN airport, 8 miles away.

Speaking of weather service, the prognosticators are saying two more nights of -31°C and then it's supposed to warm up into the minus teens.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, but that wind is drying your wood in heaps. I don't do so well with heaps.

Yep, take the good with the bad. The bad part is having to have a shed on the windward side of the house for drying and a second on the leeward side to keep me out of the wind in the winter. That means another weekend lost to stacking wood :shut: Hopefully, I'll come up with a solution to that and get that weekend a year back.

SolarAndWood said:
Hopefully, I'll come up with a solution to that and get that weekend a year back.
Keep your eye out for a burnt out mobile home and use the frame for a mobile woodshed.

lol, I was thinking of grading a place for a couple hundred feet of JagsLeeesque windheapenrowsen, a grapple bucket for the tractor and a mail slot style door into a Battenkiln.

tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:

Anything metal becomes brittle. hard on equipment, deadly on humans. Frost bit in just a few minutes.
Never worked in -40f, our rues shut us down @ -30f.
Don't want to either.
40C = 40F == too cold!

bogydave said:
tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:

Anything metal becomes brittle. hard on equipment, deadly on humans. Frost bit in just a few minutes.
Never worked in -40f, our rues shut us down @ -30f.
Don't want to either.
40C = 40F == too cold!

-40 seems just a small guest of wind would kill you! 5-10 mph

I'm old and lazy now but years ago I would put in 14 to 18 hour days working outside pipeline construction in -40. In fact when my bank account allowed it, I would turn down Summer work cuz I hated working in the heat and Blackflies.

LLigetfa said:
I'm old and lazy now but years ago I would put in 14 to 18 hour days working outside pipeline construction in -40. In fact when my bank account allowed it, I would turn down Summer work cuz I hated working in the heat and Blackflies.

Heck these newer stihls in this weather after driving to a site. You have to put them in the cab for awhile to warm them up enough to get them started.

LLigetfa said:

Most of the pipeline I worked on here was mostly buried in muskeg. Only time we could work on it was winter, building ice roads, excavate & let sides of
the excavation freeze to be able to get to the pipe, running water trash pumps at -30f takes some learning.
Someone alway would find the edge of the road. -30 was our cut-off then skeleton crew kept pumps, equipment running until it warmed up)
A propane weed burner heating the propane bottles so you could get heat.
But when the welding started, temp cutoff was out the window, can't stop. Never had a mosquito problem though.
Those were the days.

LLigetf, do you miss it?

in a few ways I do, but very few now :)

Ja, I miss it but my body doesn't. I worked every aspect of pipelining, from the slash at the start to cleanup at the finish and everything in between. Worked some real crazy hours on some jobs, upto 23 hours a day 7 days a week, sometimes as much as 36 hours straight.

1996-- Geraldton Ont. O.J Pipelines Line 3 Spread. -52 C 4 days in a row. Worked every day. Ever see diesel gel and slowly freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.