Cold Weather Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ja, I worked one Winter as swamper on the fuel truck. 23 hour days or should I say nights. Most of the time the windows were down as we were dressed for the cold and the heat would put you to sleep. Sometimes we didn't get to the equipment in time and it had run out of fuel. -40 diesel fuel on bare fingers, bleeding the injectors adds new words to your vocabulary.

It's -35°C out right now and I suspect it will get colder yet. Gotta let the coals burn down a bit before reloading the stove for the night.

Hmm... 197% RH.

Attachments

• RH197.jpg
    RH197.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 178
Cold temperature broke the weather man's instruments': Maybe it's really raining hard where they are :)
a dimensionless ratio for sure

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) defines relative humidity as:

"A dimensionless ratio, expressed in percent (% RH), of the amount of atmospheric moisture present relative to the amount that would be present if the air were saturated. Since the latter amount is dependent on temperature, relative humidity is a function of both moisture content and temperature. As such, relative humidity by itself does not directly indicate the actual amount of atmospheric moisture present."

For example, if the air contains half as much water vapor as is possible, then the relative humidity reading would be 50% RH. Bear in mind that the warmer the air temperature, the more moisture it can hold, and vise versa. This is an important factor to remember when looking at a particular RH. Using the same example, there is less water vapor at 50% RH (65°) than 50% RH (85°). Almost every meteorologist and hygrometer expresses humidity in this fashion.

Ja, that's it... dimensionless... dropped another degree and RH rose to 218.

Attachments

• RH218.jpg
    RH218.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 157
You are RIGHT ON, "I miss it but my body doesn't" (Lots of good memories & gained knowledge.)

Says Clear but invisible real thick "Ice fog" ??

I'm guessing a math formula on a spread sheet & these negative numbers (may be out of range) & mess up the formula.

Funny but;
THAT IS just real real cold; regardless of the humidity error

At least you're up to 9 hours of sun, that should heat it up (& dry it out some.)

Enjoy the wood heat, twice as nice at these temps.

Zap..minus 22c right now and windy %-P too cold to cut for this guy so beside the stove i am,playing on the pute..

loon

loon said:
Zap..minus 22c right now and windy %-P too cold to cut for this guy so beside the stove i am,playing on the pute..

loon

-8 fahrenheit which converts to -22C. I took some hand warmers with me plus I was working on a west facing hill and with the sun I actually worked up a sweat, I don't think we received the wind they had called for so it was a nice day.

Loon I needed your tractor today, by the fire! :coolsmirk:

zap

sounds good and i sure do like all the beech you've been hauling ;-)

the keys are always in the tractor so help yourself :cheese:

loon

-19 at the house this morning . . . by the time I got to work though the temp was reading a balmy -10 degrees F.

If the prognosticators are to be believed, we are getting a break from the cold until Sunday and even then it's forecast to only go down to -23°C.

23 above with sunshine here,thats almost shorts & sandals weather :coolsmirk:

Thistle said:
23 above with sunshine here,thats almost shorts & sandals weather :coolsmirk:

Ain't it funny how it's all relative.

Especially if yer from Alabama :kiss:

-4 this morning here.a warm up tomorrow. singles digits already now and maype up to 30 tomorrow.

Not as cold in central NJ as "Up North", but we're seeing some zero degrees (F) the last couple of mornings. I'm burning some two year old/seasoned mixed hardwood. It is really great stuff, burns like excited anthracite coal (yes I have burned some in the past), just more flames. But, I didn't stockpile enough for the weather we're having so I may be back on central heat only in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.