Cold weather cutting and chain oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea Ray, if the oiler isn't adjustable, I usually adjust the oil viscosity to make it run through the saw a bit faster in cold weather. My 192T is a non adj oiler, but I can still get 3/4 of a tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel. A C

Reactions: raybonz
Reactions: zap
Did you try it yet? I buy it in a bigger jug but that should work.

I like big jugs hell pretty much all jugs :eek:.. The wally world web site didn't indicate a larger jug however that is 48 oz..

Ray

I like big jugs hell pretty much all jugs :eek:.. The wally world web site didn't indicate a larger jug however that is 48 oz..

Ray
I buy mine at BJ's, 5 quarts in one jug. Smokin likes the big jugs too! ==c

Ray
I finally took my cutting gloves out of the back of the rhino, (frozen) they're down by the Liberty drying off, I might make a run back in to cut something!

I buy mine at BJ's, 5 quarts in one jug. Smokin likes the big jugs too! ==c
Yes I can understand in fact he probably likes to get a pair.. ;)

Yes I can understand in fact he probably likes to get a pair.. ;)
I'll call BJ's on Monday so I can check what I'm paying compared to the one you posted, if it's less per ounce I'll try it.

I'll call BJ's on Monday so I can check what I'm paying compared to the one you posted, if it's less per ounce I'll try it.
We go to BJ's weekly and hold the gold member's card so it pays back the membership fees and then some but sometimes things are cheaper elsewhere.. You can't beat the deli prices there for sure! Water softener salts are way cheaper there too... It's worth the trip..

Ray

Gonna try this tomorrow.. Hopefully my oiler is working correctly!

Ray

You guys made me remember that my saw is still in the bed of my truck. Been back there since Thanksgiving. whoops <>

Reactions: raybonz and zap
BJ'S & Big jugs, really guys, I thought this was a family safe forum.;lol A C

Reactions: raybonz and zap
I would rather be cutting wood when the oil doesn't flow than in the hot, humid summertime with sweat and bugs.

Ken
and SPIDERS!!:eek:

BJ'S & Big jugs, really guys, I thought this was a family safe forum.;lol A C
You sir have a dirty mind! What are you trying to insinuate? This is slanderous talk !! ;em

Ray

Reactions: amateur cutter
You guys made me remember that my saw is still in the bed of my truck. Been back there since Thanksgiving. whoops <>

Looks like its staying there for a while. It's stuck in like 3" of ice.

Had the opportunity to go over and cut some more from my friend's log pile today, and seeing as how skiing conditions are not good up here, and it was going to be in the single digits, why not. Was actually not a bad day for cutting and loading wood even though the high for the morning was 9*, sunny and no wind. Did notice when filling up the saw, the bar and chain oil was like tar. I use the Husqvarna Premium Bar and Chain oil

Do any of the long time chainsaw users thin the bar and chain oil when it is really cold? If so what do you use?
Had the opportunity to go over and cut some more from my friend's log pile today, and seeing as how skiing conditions are not good up here, and it was going to be in the single digits, why not. Was actually not a bad day for cutting and loading wood even though the high for the morning was 9*, sunny and no wind. Did notice when filling up the saw, the bar and chain oil was like tar. I use the Husqvarna Premium Bar and Chain oil

Do any of the long time chainsaw users thin the bar and chain oil when it is really cold? If so what do you use?
Before starting my chainsaw in cold weather, I apply a liberal dose of chain lube (available from WD-40, Liquid Wrench, et al) to the bar and chain as a safeguard until the oiler starts pumping. My first tankful is a 50/50 mix of regular chain bar and canola oil. I keep my jug of chain bar oil inside my truck on the floorboard to keep it warm. Subsequent tankfuls are straight chain bar oil, which works fine since the saw is already warmed up from use.

This method works great for my chainsaws - now if I could figure out a cold weather remedy for the B&S motor on my log splitter!

The Husky summer oil is labeled as 30wt, and their winter as 10wt.

{edit: I wish the age of these older threads was more obvious.}

I have the same issue with the 290 and heavy bar oil....so alot of guys use canola oil all year long....im def gonna try it...

10# winter bar oil in winter. Orange cap Husky or Essence.

30# summer oil in warmer weather. I liked Poulon green jug a lot.

Reactions: splitoak
I use either stihl or husqy bar oil.
I've been out in 10ºF and I don't have any more or less oil left in the reservoir when the gas is empty Summer or Winter.

Straight canola oil works fine.. Buy the Walmart brand of pure canola oil for best deal.. No problems at all here..

Reactions: Zare
Status
Not open for further replies.