Cold weather, lots of dry wood, yet my stove is silent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
I'm not looking for pity but I know that you guys can relate; I have been sick-very sick-since Friday night; fever, chills, bronchitis, sinus infection to the point where I was bundled up in winter clothes and at one time had gloves on. Was at the doctor Friday night but OF COURSE when I was there my temp. was 97.2 and although I knew something was wrong I showed no signs of it-until I went home, 2 1/2 hours later my temp shot up so Saturday I called them back, told them and they called in Z-pack Azythromicin antibiotic, I've been off of work for two days now and am going back to the doctor this morning to get looked at again because I still had a fever up until midnight it finally was normal and also this morning was normal, but they want to listen to my lungs and check me out and I want to make sure that this thing is heading out of me....I felt so bad over the weekend I told my wife "I feel like I should be in the hospital", but she said "it's from the fever" and she was probably correct-we'll see in a few hours! But I had not the strength to work the woodstove, and sometimes when I get these resperatory issues the intense heat makes me feel worse, so the stove has gone cold, and it is freezing outside. The wife said "I think you hearing the oil burner go on bothers you the most!". I'd say it is close between that and the illness. Oh well, you have to take care of yourself-I certainly DON'T want to end up in the hospital! So many others around me at work have been sick for weeks so I figured it was just a matter of time before it hit me......

Toss in a log for me, will ya fellas? :( <>

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'm just getting over a rough bout of H1N1 flu. Actually everyone in our family had it. It started when one of my kids brought it home from school, he said half the kids and teachers at his school have been absent the last couple weeks. However, being sick didn't keep me from getting a fire in the stove every night. I think it would have made me sicker to let the furnace run and look at a cold lifeless wood stove. The thing I hate the most about being sick is the feeling of helplessness, any thing i can do to restore my sense of power helps me feel better, even if it means just throwing some wood in the stove and lighting a match.

I had the H1N1 type 3 weeks ago. 4 days of misery and 2 weeks before I was normal. I still filled the stove and sat in the lazy boy by it when I had the chills and sat across the room on the couch when I had the sweats. On the 4th day I didn't run it. I ran out of wood inside, and I think I felt better with a more even heat anyway. The in floor heat in the basement is pretty comfortable especially when it is heated by the outdoor wood furnace. I like the new stove though even though it is mostly a backup. I like watching the fire and it is slightly cheaper as it doesn't need electricity to distribute heat.

Well I'm back to running the stove again; got back from the doctor's this morning, the fever finally broke, doc said lungs sounded okay but that I really got walloped with this sinus infection/bronchitis thing that is going around. Said to give it one more day before going back to work, don't push it and get run down you'll get walloped again plus what I have is contagious. Can't remember the last time that I called off sick from work, let alone 3 days worth, but that's how it goes; like I said, others at work have been out tons too.

Anyways, the old stove is rolling again....until the boss comes home and tells me that it bothers her lungs because now she's got it!

glad you are back in the game woodsman!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Happy you are feeling better Woodsman. However, I don't understand why you let the wood stove go cold. For sure that is one thing I would want to be running if I had the chills. If I were too sick or unable to run the stove I have a wonderful wife who takes care of it nicely. In fact, about 18 years ago I laid in a hospital for 2 months. The wood stove is our only heat. The house stayed nice and warm and it was a wonderful thing to come home too!

When the wife is sick the whole house falls apart, EXCEPT THE WOODSTOVE KEEPS GOING.

Happy you are feeling better Woodsman. However, I don't understand why you let the wood stove go cold. For sure that is one thing I would want to be running if I had the chills. If I were too sick or unable to run the stove I have a wonderful wife who takes care of it nicely. In fact, about 18 years ago I laid in a hospital for 2 months. The wood stove is our only heat. The house stayed nice and warm and it was a wonderful thing to come home too!

I let it go cold because frankly I felt too sick and weak to tend to it-I thought I was on my way to the hospital to be honest with you....I also have a wonderful wife, but tending the stove ain't her thing; despite me trying to show her years ago how to rake the coals forward and just set a new piece of wood on top of them she was more like a snowplow and shoved the coals to the back-the new piece just smoldered and smoked up the house big-time! I guess she's afraid of it and doesn't want to deal with it, and I don't push her on it, she does more than her share of the workload around here.

Anyways, I'm back, the stove is going again, now she has this "plague" that is going around.....<> :confused:

Got clipped about Thanks Giving after about 2 weeks thought things were back to normal, then got clobberd again like being hit by a freight train, month later and I still am dinking around with the sinus part. Don't have the option of hiding out as I have snowplowing contracts to attend to and the sub-zero temps haven't been any help. One nasty bug, My nose was running like a sewage treatment plant on over flow in the spring floods, and somebody turned the atmospheric pressure up about 6 notches. Not to mention feeling like I was freezing to death 5 ft from a blazing NC30 on overload.

Got clipped about Thanks Giving after about 2 weeks thought things were back to normal, then got clobberd again like being hit by a freight train, month later and I still am dinking around with the sinus part. Don't have the option of hiding out as I have snowplowing contracts to attend to and the sub-zero temps haven't been any help. One nasty bug, My nose was running like a sewage treatment plant on over flow in the spring floods, and somebody turned the atmospheric pressure up about 6 notches. Not to mention feeling like I was freezing to death 5 ft from a blazing NC30 on overload.

That sounds similiar to what is going on here in PA.; some get the sinus/bronchitis part, some get the runs or vomiting, others just feel like **** but the fever hangs on for days. The wife has something now and I'm making her go to the doctor today-she doesn't go unless I drag her but I told her "you're not going to fool around and let this go, this thing is a monster and if you don't get something for it you'll end up in the hospital with pneumonia" so she's going. Bad ass virus, you ain't a-kiddin'.....for me not to run the woodstove and to cancel an indoor soccer practice (I coach U-12) man you KNOW I'm sick.....

I remember a few years ago my father saying to me "it won't be a war that will wipe us out, it'll be a virus". He may just be right.....

When the wife is sick the whole house falls apart, EXCEPT THE WOODSTOVE KEEPS GOING.

And you eat pizza and take out hamburgers for days, right? ;lol That's how my house goes when the wife is sick like NOW-she called off from work sick today too, and I made her go to the doctor and GUESS WHAT she has? Yes, the flu, confirmed with a mucus testing machine that went up her nose! Oh, the good times just keep rolling! <> :mad:

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.