1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Coldest day of year - season midpoint

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by rawlins02, Jan 20, 2013.

1. rawlins02

rawlins02 Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    For many locations in the Northern Hemisphere, the coldest day of the year, climatologically speaking, is around the 20-21 of January. In other words, if we average the daily mean temperatures over many years, we see that it tends to be coldest around this date. Obviously does not apply if you are in the Southern Hemisphere.

The coldest time of year comes nearly a month after the winter solstice, which is the day when the sun's radiation at the top of the atmosphere reaches a minimum over the course of the year; because of the low sun angle we receive, on average, the least amount of solar radiation on that day. But the land surface (and water) continue to lose more energy than they gain each day for another month, so air temperatures continue to cool until around Jan 20-21.

Happy heating season mid-point!

PS - forecast here call for temps in the low 40s today...coldest weather (teens) to come next week.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    Here it's more like the 18th, so I was celebrating all day yesterday!

Here's my end-of-winter schedule: 6 Dec, earliest sunset, 21 Dec shortest day, 18 Jan coldest (climatological) day, Ground Hog's Day, Superbowl, Valentine's Day, Daytona 500, NCAA Championship, St. Patrick's Day, Spring, Easter, let's plant some peas!

So you see, not too long after Thanksgiving it's all downhill.
  3. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Jan 21-23 Coldest we have seen this season, Neg at night single digit days deg. F Back to the 20's days by next weekend. Possible snow as it warms back up, If it does put a blanket of white down then Feb. is going to be quite cold. March is never a stable month and MarchApril can be the worst for storms snow and rain some times together.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Our coldest part of winter is January 20-23 on average. And wouldn't you know it, right on schedule came this deep freeze we are into. I about froze out there today and tomorrow's high expected to be 8. Burrrrrrr.
  5. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Never knew that but it's right on target here. It has been in upper 40's - 50's for few weeks but north winds are on the way tonight, along with some snow this week. Highs/lows will be mid 20's/low teens all week. Brought in some kiln dried oak, finally need those BTUs :) Since our house is stone, our "burn season" is longer than most as without heat, it's a balmy 52 downstairs and barely 60 upstairs. Even on days when it's 60 I have the stove going, burning the "big uglies" to get the damp out and heat on. We have an old oil furnance as back up but 68 with baseboard heat is no where near the coziness of 68 with wood heat!
  6. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Lots ice for fishing next weekend [​IMG]
    fishingpol likes this.
  7. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Supposed to hit 60 tomorrow. Grrrrr.......:mad:
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    We were at 60 yesterday. High tomorrow, 23.
  9. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    The woodpile is showing a sizeable dent in it now.

There is something to be said about going outside to the woodpile in the crisp cold air at night for a few minutes. Especially a clear night with the moon out and nothing stirring about.

I went ice fishing Saturday ended up taking the jacket off, near 50::F it was.

More sunlight now, a few weeks we'll be rounding the corner.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Please send it east!
  11. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    My brother got the July birthday. Sprinklers. Ice Cream.
    Mine gets to be the coldest of the year. Party often cancelled due to snowdrifts:mad:
  12. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hehheh . . . that's my wife and me. I get the July 14th birthday celebration with swimming . . . she is lucky if plans aren't canceled due to a snow storm.
  13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Thanks for posting this . . . this was something I was thinking about the other day . . . was wondering why the coldest days always seem to be later than the shortest day of the year.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Thanks to the 'ol Alberta clipper' right now I'll take any of the above mentioned temps!
  15. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Same goes for the hottest days