1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Coldest Night in NorthEast tonight since last March - What brand wood pellets will you use?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Oink Oink

Oink Oink Member

Loc:
    North East CT
    Just threw in a bag of Vermonts, what a difference in heat. I forgot how good they are since I haven't burned them since last year and have some more experience burning now.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Well another cold night here with a Low of 22 Degrees!! The Geneva Pellets work well they are the more refined Maine's Choice Wood pellets.

Last night I had 2 bags of Clean Fire Pacific Blend in the hopper and wow! Very low ash and a nice clean fire!! Heat is very good too!

I would say they are one of the best pellets for sure!!!
  3. jamesdjs

jamesdjs Member

Loc:
    western MA
    About 18 last night and I'm burning Cleanfires Pacific
    70 degrees in the house. :cheese:
  4. Meneillys

Meneillys Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bernhards Bay, NY
    So far I am loving them. I do have the batch with the plastic bits in some of the pellets but they still have little ash and high heat. We are burning them in our Mt. Vernon and Harman PB105. The PB105 loves them we had to turn the feed down from 4 to 1.5 and the auger no longer makes crunching sounds. We have sold 38 tons and so far most say that they want to Eden next year but they also report that the bags are still a bit dusty.
  5. johnnycomelately

johnnycomelately Member

Loc:
    CT
    LMFAO
    OK, I have seen this Meineilly guy posting here fairly regularly and has always been reasonably objective regardless of the fact that he has a business interest in selling his products. For that, he has earned my respect, so I shall go easy on him here. But, to be willing to "overlook" random plastic in your pellets because they burn hot??? That's kinda laughable. But, Mr. Meinelly, you are also a great asset to this community and seem to be an honest, hardworking businessman, so I will not berate you in my childish sophmoric way that I usually attack those that do not think the exact same way that I do. %-P
    I hope that Santa is able to bring you some plastic-free pellets for Christmas this year. Rumor has it that they do exist!
  6. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Switched from MWP to Blazers.....They are awesome. With the MWP i could only go 5 or 6 bags without stopping to clean. So far I am on bag 8 and there is hardly any ash. Its going to be a hard decision come spring whether or not to buy more of these....And best of all.....no plastic ;-)
  7. RKS130

RKS130 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, NY
    Still burning Premier Pellets "Appalachian Hardwood" with good heat. Will move up the food chain as temps drop.
  8. St_Earl

St_Earl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    millinocket, north central maine
    the forecast calls for 2 degrees here saturday night. (updated now to between -6 to -2)
    this will be the first real test imo of my stove since i got it the end of october.

weird warm winter here so far though. snow on halloween and tonight it's 42 or 44 degrees out.
  9. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    Only have one brand, do have some HHO left over from last year.
  10. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yup same here. Kind of looking forward to it being cold so I can see how it does.

BRING IT ON MOTHER NATURE! ...then.. uhh.. warm up immediately plz?
  11. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    Nah, bring on some more of that good ole global warming!

Tom C.
  12. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Well it will be a very cold weekend here in NH. See 5 Day Forecast pic below!!

Lows in the teens next three nights!!

Attached Files:

13. Meneillys

Meneillys Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bernhards Bay, NY
    Well I am a bit crazy as most other pellet dealers will say in the area. My father and I are burning the Eden we had with plastic for three reasons they are hot, we are ok with the plastic as we have not seen any stove issues yet, and we would rather not have customers burning plastic so we took almost all 22 tons into our homes. The new batch we had is so far plastic free! We are seeing some orange and blue plastic in the NEWP once and a while also oddly. 15 here tonight and Eden is in the stove plastic and all. Also we have Cubex and NEWP in stock still going to burn the plastic Eden.
  14. mainegeek

mainegeek Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I'm back to Energex this year. I finished off the last of the MWP about a month ago. Glad to see them gone. The MWP pellets may have been cheaper then the Energex but they produce a lot of ash. We also almost had a hopper fire last year (while burning MWP) when pellets started backing up in the feeding tube. The vertical vent out to the house was completely blocked. This never happened with the Energex with my regular cleaning schedule. On the flip side, the Energex also burn much warmer!
  15. RKS130

RKS130 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, NY
    Woke up to 21º outside at 5AM, 71º downstairs and 69º upstairs, inside. Burned Premier Pellets "Appalachian Hardwood" all night with the stove set on room temp 73ish (still working on the best location for the sensor), fan just past medium. So far so good and not a drop of oil burned for heat.
  16. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    14 deg f here this morning. Knew it was going to be a coldish one so it was the first time we left the p61 on overnight. Burning Greene teams and woke up to an average temp of 69 inside a 2200 sf house. Plenty warm for me as I like it cooler than most people but I am very happy with how the stove did on the first "test."

Edit: forgot to include settings.... ran in stove temp 1 and dist blower on lowest setting. (Guess that means that on the lowest heat output that my stove will keep the house very comfortable on a 14 deg night) Used probably half a bag.
  17. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

17.8 Degrees F here at 8:00 AM !! Over night low was 17.4 Deg F

Basement temp in 2,000 sqft split above pellet stove is 80 Deg F with stove on heat setting 3 (3.22 lbs per hour) of 6!!

So I used approx 1 bag of wood pellets over night at $3.97 per bag. Not bad. :)

Living room and kitchen above is 70 Deg F

Bedrooms are a comfortable 67 Deg F

Nice Summer Heat!! Just using some Maine's Choice Wood Pellets.

Attached Files:

18. dsnedegar3

dsnedegar3 Member

Loc:
    Southern Connecticut
    21 in Connecticut at 8am. Was burning Stove Chows. Switched to a bag of Hamer Hot Ones... boy what a difference in heat output!

Go UCONN!
  19. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Woke up to 18 degrees outside. Burned green supremes
    last night but dumped in a bag of Okanagan at 8 am.
  20. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
  21. the pony boy

the pony boy Member

Loc:
    putnam ny
    17 this morning.67 inside not sure if theres awf or peningtons in there.
  22. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    According to the info u got from
    Eventemp's web site, 2.025 lbs / hr
    Living room was 73 degrees.
    In my 7th year with this stove so
    the novelty of tracking stuff like
    that has long since worn off for me.

23. turbulator

turbulator Member

Loc:
    Western PA
    I am burning Eden...plastic free.... I am not a pellet salesman....and I am childish....so insult me :)
  24. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's been hovering around 16F since Friday evening, into the mid single digits at night.

Running on Room Temp.. no problem keeping the house at 74 downstairs, 72 upstairs, but I had to fill the hopper Friday night, twice yesterday, will have to again today, and probably again Monday morning. Holy crap I don't like that too much. Only heating 1000sq ft. 4+ bags for a weekend? Damn.
  25. VTrider

VTrider Member

Loc:
    Northern New England Burlington Vermont
    Loaded up the hopper on the Enviro Maxx w/ "North Country" pellets I picked up the other day from HD ($4.82/bag). Set stove Hi/Low around 11:00pm - house was at 69F, stat ramp ups stove at 4:00am for 70F. Woke up this morning to a comfy 70F upstairs - temp outside @ 7:00am was a balmy 7F. First season replacing wood stove w/pellet stove for main heat, last night was first real test considering this is a basement install - needless to say I am a happy camper so far.

BTW: Many here are aware that the big box 'North Country' brand are rebadged 'Currans' out of Massena, NY - interestingly though, my stove pumps out an average of 15-20F warmer temps (on heat setting #3) using the North Country label (as opposed to the Currans). Seeing around 215F - 220F which is nothing to write home about, but in light of last night works for me!

Attached Files: