Coldest Night in NorthEast tonight since last March - What brand wood pellets will you use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xena said:
According to the info u got from
Eventemp's web site, 2.025 lbs / hr
Living room was 73 degrees.
In my 7th year with this stove so
the novelty of tracking stuff like
that has long since worn off for me.

Don2222 said:
Xena said:
Woke up to 18 degrees outside. Burned green supremes
last night but dumped in a bag of Okanagan at 8 am.

How many lbs per hour was your stove set to?

Remember this thread on lbs/hr
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82317/

Thanks Xena

It is just good to compare apples to apples instead of heat settings.
I have a basement install so I ran 3.22 lbs/hr last night but throttled it back to 2.46 lbs/hr during the day today to maintain the cozy inside temps.

I find 3.22 lbs/hr helps when starting the stove when outside temps are falling. Once the house it heated it holds the heat very well. Sometimes it is hard to know to shut it down or not during the day because it uses more pellets to get the house warm again. :)

P.S. Finally got the shed feed wires done so now I just need an outlet next to where the hearth goes and I will be doing a Shed Install!!!

VTrider said:
Loaded up the hopper on the Enviro Maxx w/ "North Country" pellets I picked up the other day from HD ($4.82/bag). Set stove Hi/Low around 11:00pm - house was at 69F, stat ramp ups stove at 4:00am for 70F. Woke up this morning to a comfy 70F upstairs - temp outside @ 7:00am was a balmy 7F. First season replacing wood stove w/pellet stove for main heat, last night was first real test considering this is a basement install - needless to say I am a happy camper so far.

CRw5ONKoE72JXnsIdpPLiasoNiLkD2O2_eGyb1qpFBP-nKHpc1zW0BIgrhDZ2m2MT9RR00bY5Dj_Y3YFz0V5AsjmspU4EXLwN4g=w1600

BTW: Many here are aware that the big box 'North Country' brand are rebadged 'Currans' out of Massena, NY - interestingly though, my stove pumps out an average of 15-20F warmer temps (on heat setting #3) using the North Country pellets. Seeing around 215F - 220F which is nothing to write home about, but in light of last night works for me!

Wow, sounds like your Enviro Maxx can really cut the Mustard!!

I rebuilt an Enviro EF2 and I must say Enviros are Top Notch in my book!!!

Hello

Well the Outside Digital Thermometer sensor just read 17.8 degrees at 7:00 PM tonight!!

If the temp goes down any more it will break the overnight low again tonight and be the coldest night again this season!!!

Just topped off the 115 lb hopper with a bag of Logic-e from last spring.

Dodge grain gave out $10.00 certs for signing up on their newly updated website so each member of my family got 2 bags of Logic-e wood pellets!!

8 bags and almost one week of free heat by going to the local store! Wood burners cannot do that!!

Anyway the basement is 72, the living room is 72 and the bedrooms are 67 at 7:10 PM at 17.6 Degrees F outside on 2.46 lbs/hr on some free heat.
Here is a new slogan. "Home heating with a Wood Pellet Stove -- life is warm and cozy!" LOL

Don2222 said:
Hello

Well the Outside Digital Thermometer sensor just read 17.8 degrees at 7:00 PM tonight!!

If the temp goes down any more it will break the overnight low again tonight and be the coldest night again this season!!!

Dodge grain gave out $10.00 certs for signing up on their newly updated website so each member of my family got 2 bags of Logic-e wood pellets!!

8 bags and almost one week of free heat by going to the local store! Wood burners cannot do that!!

Anyway the basement is 72, the living room is 72 and the bedrooms are 67 at 7:10 PM at 17.6 Degrees F outside on 2.46 lbs/hr on some free heat.
Here is a new slogan. "Home heating with a Wood Pellet Stove -- life is warm and cozy!" LOL

Supposed to have a low of 5 deg f here tonight. I think our lo last night was 14.

mepellet said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

Supposed to have a low of 5 deg f here tonight. I think our lo last night was 14.

Hi mepellet

Low forecast here for tonight is 11 degrees F. Glad we have wood pellet heat!!

This morning it was 7 and right now it is 4 and going down. I don't put much faith in forecast temperatures as they keep changing the forecast every time you check it, they call it refining the forecast .....

Don2222 said:
Wow, sounds like your Enviro Maxx can really cut the Mustard!!

I rebuilt an Enviro EF2 and I must say Enviros are Top Notch in my book!!!

Yeah, it won't get any awards in the good looks department, the thing was designed for function & business. A real workhouse, which is what I was shooting for. We replaced all the windows a few years back, insulated basement , have cathedral ceilings & ceiling fans which all help - the kicker is that my house is only 1,400 sqft! First thought normally is...'that's overkill', but honestly I feel I couldn't be where I am with anything less. The Maxx chews through every pellet I throw at it, I can leave for the weekend and not worry about it running out of pellets. I haven't even touched the two highest settings, which is nice knowing I have them if I need it like when it's -10 and windy.

9 degreess lowest last nigh currently 11 in my part long island= Stove on "3" kept 1800 sqft ranch @ 70 degrees burning Agway pellets
Very Happy with results so far

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 395
That's funny. M55 Cast FPI, agway pellets, 9 degrees outside, 70 on setting 3 last night...eerie. But damn it's cold out.

Don2222 said:
I have a basement installl!!!

None of us are comparing apples to apples here
since we all have different houses, insulation,
Stoves, pellets, just to name a few of the variables.
If your stove works for ya that's all that matters.

Staying OT, 16 degrees here this morning.
Stove on 2 overnight with Greene team and it was 71
In the living room. Just kicked it up to 4
cuz I like it warmer.

Xena said:
Don2222 said:
I have a basement installl!!!

None of us are comparing apples to apples here
since we all have different houses, insulation,
Stoves, pellets, just to name a few of the variables.
If your stove works for ya that's all that matters.

Staying OT, 16 degrees here this morning.
Stove on 2 overnight with Greene team and it was 71
In the living room. Just kicked it up to 4
cuz I like it warmer.

Hi Xena
Yes, I agree but knowing how many lbs / hr does make it easier.
I would think that lbs / hr and sqft that is being heated is directly proportional and it would be nice to know.
Granted the pellet type, house insulation and draftynes has a role but that would be plus or minus a few ounces if a good formula was developed.

Our Low here last night was 12.2 Deg F and ran the stove at 3.22 lbs / hr burning Logik-e pellets from Canada.

So with you install, heat setting 4 - 3.15 lbs/hr will really warm your socks!!!

Attachments

• WPLogik-eSC.jpg
    WPLogik-eSC.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 345
Hey, Don

I bought 4 bags of those LogikE pellets and burned them for the first time last night. Cost like $5.50/bag so I figured on getting at the very least decent heat. What a huge disappointment! Came home from work this morning and house was at 66* (16* outside, 3feed, 7blower). Night before with same condition house was at 70* with Fireside pellets ($4.80/bag). Got it cranked right now at 7feed/9blow for the past 2 hours and the house has only gone up 1 degree. So glad I only bought 4 bags! Only positive for me is that it appears to be really low ash.

I'm guessing you picked up at Dodge grain and feed. How do they work for you? Worth the extra money?

xraycer said:
Hey, Don

I bought 4 bags of those LogikE pellets and burned them for the first time last night. Cost like $5.50/bag so I figured on getting at the very least decent heat. What a huge disappointment! Came home from work this morning and house was at 66* (16* outside, 3feed, 7blower). Night before with same condition house was at 70* with Fireside pellets ($4.80/bag). Got it cranked right now at 7feed/9blow for the past 2 hours and the house has only gone up 1 degree. So glad I only bought 4 bags! Only positive for me is that it appears to be really low ash.

I'm guessing you picked up at Dodge grain and feed. How do they work for you? Worth the extra money?

Yes, Dodge Grain. They were stored inside at that time.

Did you buy those bags on a rainy day? I have had very good luck with mine and no problems.
A year ago last summer, I got 3 tons for $5 per bag.

oldmountvernon said:
last night 12 hours ate up 1 bag so i guess im on the 2 bag per day train

Same here. Put a new bag of Greene Team in at about 6pm last night and used 90% of that on low setting all night. But kept the house comfortable enough considering it was 5 deg F out when I woke up this morning. Still cheaper than oil and thats all that matters right?!?!

oldmountvernon said:
mepellet said:
Still cheaper than oil and thats all that matters right?!?!

thats all im concerned about still a no brainer to me at 2 bags per day still 1/2 price as oil. Still have to use a little oil during the night for upstairs bedroom ,until i get the b@lls to cut a vent in the ceiling to my upstairs bedroom. I just hate to cut it for nothing as i been hearing mixed stories about it have little effect

Yea I haven't done any house modifications. We like the bedrooms cooler than most people I think (low 60s). I have been able to not use any oil besides 5 mind twice a day just to keep the pipes from freezing. Basement was down to about 58 this morning and I have a very leaky bulkhead that I need to do something about.... just haven't figured out what just yet.

Found some descent priced MWP (with the Stove on the bag) so I stopped burning the OKIES for a day and a half. The MWP wouldn't produce the heat and I could visibly see more ash being generated so I switched back to my OKIES for the cold nights and will save the MWP for days in the 40s.

Also left the Castile on daytime temperature all night to reduce the warm up time in the AM.

kmapsrule said:
Last night i was testing Energex Americans(first non NEWP bag I have burned) lots of heat, house was good at 74F with the overnight low outside of 18F but wow did I have a lot of ash compared to the NEWP. I haven't had an issue with the NEWP heat wise overall house has been warm with it,
the NEWP ash tends to be very clumpy/crusty which is easier to clean out of this stove as it doesn't have an ash drawer,
the Energex ash was light, loose and EVERYWHERE inside the stove. [edit] hmm, i had a bucket of energex and a bucket of stove chow side by side ready to test each, now im wondering if i accidentally put the stove chow through instead of the energex.....ugh need to pay more attention.

I'm burning Energex American this year. Usually it is a decent pellet. This season's batch is very dusty, much more than previous years. It is still hot, however...

i was burning Stove Chow till this recent cold snap

switched to Barefoots...omg the differance !!

Don2222 said:
xraycer said:
Hey, Don

Yes, Dodge Grain. They were stored inside at that time.

Did you buy those bags on a rainy day? I have had very good luck with mine and no problems.
A year ago last summer, I got 3 tons for $5 per bag.

Got it off an indoor pallet on a beautiful sunny day. I guess my stove doesn't like these pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.