Coldest temp of the year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Robins are year round residents here. Anna hummingbirds too if you keep a feeder always available.

Sparrows shivering at the bird feeder today in sub zero temps. I forgot what the lawn looks like.

I read that in Duluth MN. it got down below zero 60 days in a row this year.

what the gfs thinks about a week away!!!!!!

weather.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling for -4 tomorrow morning and minus -3 next wednesday morning. Which would match the record for march 5, 1978

It's a nice, bright breezy day, full of sunshine, and negative 7 F.

Immo be outside all weekend. Single digits in the morning. I will be burning 2 1/2 bundles of trim however, so I should keep moving and near the fire

All this will be gone before Monday
image.jpg

I've always liked Duluth. I could retire in one of those small houses that back up to the beach. Duluth, MN. My kind of beach town. :)

image.jpg image.jpg

Here is a graphic showing the frost depth in the 70-75" range in Minnesota which would explain why so many homes water lines are freezing up this year there leading to the second picture showing a city worker trying to thaw a water line in a home.

Yikes, 6 ft of frozen earth? Will that thaw out before next winter?

Last edited:
They can have it. I mowed the lawn today. Let springtime begin.

That frost depth is under pavement. The frost depth should be much shallower under our deep snow. My septic pipe hasn't froze yet but I cover it with straw before winter and it has a lot of snow on top of that.

My sister says That it's been nice in the Portland OR area lately and that I should come out since it was 1977 since I've been their to see my Nieces.

Nope, nope BG. It can't start to slowly warm up until the end of March. We need a steady -30 until then. Plenty of pipeline breaks to fix.

Nope, nope BG. It can't start to slowly warm up until the end of March. We need a steady -30 until then. Plenty of pipeline breaks to fix.
From the picture I posted showing the city worker trying to thaw a water line, they said they can thaw about half of the lines that way. The rest need to be fixed by a private contractor meaning a expensive digging job I'd guess.

Worried about my septic. Dug the hole to the opening in the tank in September and the fool didn't show up. Open hole over the top of the tank with record setting cold here for months.

Worried about my septic. Dug the hole to the opening in the tank in September and the fool didn't show up. Open hole over the top of the tank with record setting cold here for months.

If it has a lot of snow on top that should help insulate it.

Don't worry about the septic BB they make their own heat, just don't have it pumped out until it warms up.

Thanks. What I was thinking. I covered the hole with plywood.

A contractor nightmare. Dug the hole and scheduled the pumping. Scheduled the re-graveling of the 900 foot driveway and the re-roofing of the house. And did the schedule of the driveway and the septic for two weeks after the promised date of the roof so they wouldn't be here getting in the roofer's way. And then the roofers kept putting it off for six weeks and the the driveway and septic guys told me to F off.

Didn't cost me. Just them. But still...

The tank will freeze up here, mine did 7 or 8 years ago when we had plenty of cold but no snow yet. I was only using the house on the weekends then so not a big deal. But a neighbor had his tank and pipes freeze up last year and in the process of thawing it by the pumping company he had to use his ice auger to drill a hole in the ice so they could pump it out. I'm talking a holding tank, not a conventional septic system. Same for mine, 3,000 gallon tanks that cost $145 to pump when full.

Status
Not open for further replies.