Coleman liquid fuel stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rusty18

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2018
Belpre oh
Not sure how I made it through years of camping in scouts and various other outings and never had/used one of these. Saved this Coleman 424 from the scrap pile today. Has been in a barn at moms for over 20 years. She got it on a horse trade somewhere along the way and just stuck it on the shelf. Anyways it was one giant mouse nest with stink bugs and mud mason nests to boot. Sprayed everything out with a water hose, disassembled everything on the tank except the check valve, spent about 2 hours rattling it around with a handful of screws in the tank to knock all the rust loose, cleaned the generator, cleaned and oiled the pump, and disassembled/cleaned the burners. now that I know it still works it will get a full work over this winter and will be going in my collection for outings (I’ve already been volunteered to man the horse trailer when our daughter starts going to shows next year with her pony).
Pic is right after I got first light off, as it warmed up and burned all the wd40 off flames cleaned up and ran decent. Running gasoline high test with ethanol.

IMG_0202.jpeg

I grew up with the white gas ones. I have a propane one now. I absolutely love it!

Reactions: Rusty18
We had propane one that belonged to the scouts that always went for “emergencies”. Our scoutmaster was old school, you cooked on a wood fire or you ate it cold :ZZZ. Never had a cold meal in the 6 years I was a member! Anyways, there are a few YouTube videos on working on these stoves and lanterns. I’m already watching Facebook for an old lantern local and cheap.
I’m already looking forward to cooking on this one next summer. Probably will refrain from roasting hotdogs over it though, not the same as a hot bed of coals.

Reactions: sloeffle
Lol. I imagine a troop of hungry boys warrants having an emergency stove!

I have fond memories of camp toast done on a fork over white gas, lol.

You’d have had to met Kitty (his real name was Harold)…hungry did not constitute an emergency! Starving maybe but hungry definitely not. There were a few camp outs I didn’t go on so can’t say 100% that stove wasn’t used in 6 years but it was never opened up on any of the trips I went on. We did how ever use the propane lanterns a lot. They would usually hang one up in the middle of the campsite after everyone went to bed, depending on who all was on the trip. If it was just the older half of the troop you were expected to know how to camp in the dark ;lol

Side note on kitty, he was a WW2 vet, went to work for hope gas after the war as a rig hand, worked his way up to district boss which he retired from. In 2005 he was in his late 70’s and still scoutmaster, could punt a football like a missile, had a double bit axe that he kept so sharp you’d get cut just by looking at it…learned a lot from him, wish I’d learned more while I had the chance.

FWIW, if you burn pump gas, the stoves will run but the generator tube will clog up and need to be cleaned or replaced occasionally. Run them on more expensive naptha (Coleman Fuel) and they seem to run forever. This applies to just about any stove or lantern that uses Coleman fuel including backpacking stoves.

Here is how to clean a generator tube https://www.oldtowncoleman.com/lear...se a stiff brush on,hole that must be cleared.

Old partially plugged up stoves are readily available, for cheap or free at garage sales. In most cases the pump leathers need oiling or replacement, and the fuel tank gasket may need replacing. Coleman fuel seems to have no shelf life but if someone was using pump gas, it will break down and gunk up the works.

A few warnings, if the fuel tank is rusted dented or damaged, it is best not to use it. The tank is obviously pressurized for operation and if it leaks while the stove is running it is a potential major fire or an explosion. If someone is using large pots that cover the entire stove top, there can be lot of heat transferred out the side of the stove body and that pressurized the tank further.

The other warning is the fuel tank caps https://www.oldtowncoleman.com/safety/coleman-filler-cap-safety.htm Folks who try to refill tanks when they are warm are asking for a fire if they try to fill the tank without removing it from the stove.

I currently have 2 of these and would pick up another if I found. I have eaten a lot of meals cooked on these old camp stoves. I have only ever used coleman fuel and both seem to work great still. Also have 3 lanterns between my dad and I.

If you want to get into even odder technology keep an eye out for Petromax Kerosene lanterns. They look like a Coleman but they burn Kerosene

FWIW, if you burn pump gas, the stoves will run but the generator tube will clog up and need to be cleaned or replaced occasionally. Run them on more expensive naptha (Coleman Fuel) and they seem to run forever. This applies to just about any stove or lantern that uses Coleman fuel including backpacking stoves.

Here is how to clean a generator tube https://www.oldtowncoleman.com/learn/how-to-replace-a-coleman-stove-generator.htm#:~:text=Use a stiff brush on,hole that must be cleared.

Old partially plugged up stoves are readily available, for cheap or free at garage sales. In most cases the pump leathers need oiling or replacement, and the fuel tank gasket may need replacing. Coleman fuel seems to have no shelf life but if someone was using pump gas, it will break down and gunk up the works.

A few warnings, if the fuel tank is rusted dented or damaged, it is best not to use it. The tank is obviously pressurized for operation and if it leaks while the stove is running it is a potential major fire or an explosion. If someone is using large pots that cover the entire stove top, there can be lot of heat transferred out the side of the stove body and that pressurized the tank further.

The other warning is the fuel tank caps https://www.oldtowncoleman.com/safety/coleman-filler-cap-safety.htm Folks who try to refill tanks when they are warm are asking for a fire if they try to fill the tank without removing it from the stove.
Yea, the one I got had gasoline in it. I know the smell of dead gas all too well. Came across old town Coleman’s YouTube videos, instrumental on getting this one going.

For safety. No way would I refuel this thing running/hot. My tank appears to be in decent shape, a lot of crap came out of it but no huge chunks of rust. And idea what pressure the little pumps will get the tank up to?

I picked up a dual fuel, Coleman fuel and gasoline model last fall. I grew up with the Coleman fuel version and lost track of it in all my dad's moves over the years. I have used it to serve hot soup at my daughter's ski races the last year and for the final boil of maple sap this past spring. It is a workhorse.

If you want to get into even odder technology keep an eye out for Petromax Kerosene lanterns. They look like a Coleman but they burn Kerosene
Aladdin lamps do too. We have a Colman multifuel and Aladdin lamp, but they have not been used in years. LED lamps have replaced them for the most part.

I have Coleman dual fuel stove and lantern. Ran them on gasoline for decades and eventually, during Rona shutdowns, got bored and cleaned the generators of all the carbon junk from gasoline and switched them over to Coleman fuel to keep them clean. I definitely like that they can burn gasoline but recommend that folks only burn Coleman fuel if it’s available. Flexibility is important. I meant to acquire the relatively cheap propane adapter so it can be a “tri fuel” stove.

I remember the Coleman lantern back in the day. The sound it made when it was blazing away was a memorable part of my camping experiences growing up. That was lost in all my dad's moves as well.

Those were good units too.

I had some tenants leave the propane version. I haven’t fired it up yet. It needs a new sock. It probably sounds the same.

I just noticed I caught the plunger in the pic, lol. The kitchen sink got clogged a few days ago. The little one probably chucked the plunger down the basement stairs when she was done with it. Sigh, lol.

image.jpg

I've got one of those too. We used to have regular, long outages, but things have improved over the last decade or we've just been lucky. Now, if it looks like we are going to be more than 6 hrs without power, I usually start up the generator.

Reactions: ispinwool
Added a 200a and a 2150 lantern to the collection today. Fuel tank on the 200a is about the same condition as the stoves when I got it. Looks to still have the original leather pump cup. Got it soaking in oil now as it has no compression. Rest of the fuel system is soaking in the first round of treatment…looks like it was parked with gasoline it in about 20 years ago.

I found an older Coleman stove similar to the one you have pictured at a yard sale for about $5. I had to do some major cleaning and replace a few gaskets. Seems spiders love to build their homes in the inner tubes which will clog them as I found out. The price for new ones have really gone through the roof with so many people prepping these days. It will be nice having a stove that can burn on any type of gas...just in case. I recently purchased a two burner propane stove with legs to do my canning on in the summer time and really wouldn't need the Coleman stove unless SHTF happens. I was able to buy a fairly large double burner for about $75 (not including propane tank) and I have used it numerous times to cook meals outside on my porch when the power has gone out.

Reactions: Rusty18