1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Coleman pics for Suprz

Post in 'The Gear' started by swagler85, Dec 31, 2012.

1. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356994594.317756.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356994602.645175.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356994612.484686.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356994622.127930.jpg
    Suprz, here's the pics of the old Coleman I mentioned in the PM.
    Dairyman likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I love those old lanterns. Have one with the reflector/shield/handle too. Even have a few of the old Radioactive mantles around!
  3. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    What is a radioactive mantle?????????????
  4. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    The older mantles were coated with a slightly radioactive substance that makes them glow when lit, nowadays they use a more politically correct coating and alot of us that collect lanterns will swear that the new mantles do not burn as bright or last as long...but even with the new coating, DO NOT breathe in the fumes when you light a new mantle and get it ready to light for the first time...
    aussiedog3 likes this.
  5. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I used to do Radiation Safety at several universities before I retired. One of the items I would always use to teach folks about background radiation, and give some common examples of consumer items that contain radioactive materials, was the older lantern mantles. They contained an radioisotope of Thorium in them, not enough to harm you from a distance, but I wouldn't want to breath in a wad of old mantle dust. A package of them could peg a geiger counter pretty good. Used to also use an americium element from a common ionization chamber smoke detector. But the best of all was my big orange-red glazed Fiesta Ware Turkey Platter. That baby was so "hot" that I joked that you could probably cook a Turkey on it! (not really)
    ScotO and aussiedog3 like this.