Colonial home w/ chimney on end...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, gang. Welcome to my first post ever!

I've got a 34 year old colonial home. The first floor main area is ~800 sq. ft with a small sunken room on one end, ~150 sq. ft. The sunken room has a vaulted ceiling, and is next to the kitchen, on the opposite side of the house from the Living Room. The sunken room is also where the chimney & hearth are located. From the stove location, across the kitchen, through a hallway and across to the outside wall of the Living Room is about 50 feet.

I've been in this house 8 years, and just sold off a gigantic Fisher Grandpa bear that was there when we bought the house. We never used that stove a lot, but with heating oil skyrocketing, I want to use wood more. Under the brick hearth, the joists are actually bowed and need to be raised (I've got a contractor on the hook to do that work). Once the floor is levelled, I'm looking at putting in a new stove, and the Englander fits my budget. The comments from the users in these forums point to it as a quality stove as well.

Here's my question: With a typical center stair case colonial, I'm not worrying myself with trying to push the heat upstairs. When we fired up that old Fisher we never got much heat into the bedrooms anyway. I would like to try and heat things downstairs, however. From what I've read, I think the 13 will do the job nicely, but I'd like to hear from the crowd.

Thanks!

The 13 should heat the downstairs just fine. Your house sounds just like mine with the exception of the family room being "sunken". Eight room center hall colonial with the stairway going up from the entryway in the front and I heat the whole joint with a 30-NC in the fireplace in the family room. In Northern Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.