Color Powder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
I ended up getting a stocking stuffer gift of some powder packets that are supposed to turn some of your flames different colors.

Anybody use something like this?

Is it O.K. to use?

My kid might get a kick out of it.

I've never used the flame coloring stuff. I understand that you should not use it if you run a catalytic stove, could damage the combustor....as far as a non-cat stove I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to me that it would hurt anything.

mostly chlorides or salts - we used to do this with the kids with a fireplace or an outside fire

I wouldn't want to get into a habit with it with expensive metal flues.

table salt, or borax, or epson salt, copper sulphate makes green flames (I only remember that colour from playing with copper)

We used to mix with water and soak pine cones in the brines to get the colors to burn longer.

I'd have to look up all the sulphates / chlorides and the colours you'ld get.

Status
Not open for further replies.