Combifire install going slow but sure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2008
alaska
I have learned and appreciated so much from the help this forum has provided with installing our wood stove. I got a lot of great advice on the chimney but now need direction on the hearth. I have almost finished the chimney and will be starting on the hearth soon. I found an old but great condition Jotul Combifire #4 that's going in a finished basement. I had a Combifire nearly 30 years ago, and loved it. But makes me shudder to think how I installed it back then though. This one I'm trying to do right. It is in the center of the house, adjacent to the split entry stairway. It will be in a corner that has an 2x6 insulated outside wall and an uninsulated inside wall. I plan to use durarock with durarock strips to get 1" space away from drywall, Then use large travertine tiles over the durarock. I am using Kenai river rock for the hearth which is on a concrete slab. I have assumed I need 18" of clearance to the combustible walls but lately I'm reading that unlisted stoves require more clearance. Is this old Jotul UL listed? Can someone tell me what clearance I need for this stove? The hearth will extend only 16" in the front but the surrounding floor will also be tiled on top of concrete so I thought I would be ok?

I could sure use some advice here. I really want to get started this weekend and don't know how big to make this hearth. I spent a couple hours last night again trying to find UL listings I hear about on this forum. Help please!

It took me some looking but I found that stoves this old aren't UL listed. I also learned that I need 18" to a combustile if I have an airspace. Looks like the area infront of the firedoor is adequate also. Thanks for all the help.

i know you already found most of your answers and im sorry i dont know much about this stove, but ive also read that many non listed stoves need a 36" clearance to combustibles as dictated by the nfpa.

"Wall Protection for Unlisted Stoves

As mentioned earlier in this document, most unlisted stoves should be installed 36” from combustible walls. This clearance can be reduced to as little as 12” with the proper wall protection." taken from https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

with the wall protection you mentioned you should be ok at 18", but it would not hurt to call the building inspector because unlisted stove regulations can be tricky.

also according to the website, you need 18" on all sides of the hearth, but as you've said, due to your floor (tile over cement) you can think of the floor as a huge hearth extender.

your safest bet would be to call the building inspector and make sure you fall within the guidelines of your state.

If you have 18" as measured perpendicularly from the corner wall to the stove you are covered as long as the corner walls have proper NFPA 211 wall shields extending from the corner to beyond the front of the stove.

It would be most helpful if you could post a diagram and maybe site pictures so that we can be of further assistance. There may be issues not mentioned, but we'd have no way of knowing without seeing them.

Thank you. I will check with a local building inspector and send a picture right after the holiday. Project on hold till after the kid's hockey tournament....

Status
Not open for further replies.