Combination fuel boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Well, we were all set to pull the trigger this week on a wood boiler. Planned on keeping the old oil boiler mainly as backup and off season DHW by moving it to a location for power venting and using the existing chimney for the wood boiler. Problem is there is nowhere I can place the power venter that will meet code...too close to the windows. I could live with this as we would just be sure to not open the window affected...but I am told that there would be inspections on the install and the power venter would not pass.

So, now we are contemplating a oil/wood boiler in the same chimney with stainless liner. I know this is not the preferred set up due to sharing the same outlet and probably less efficiency but my choices are limited. I figure I can limit any creosote by using the combo boiler in conjunction with storage.

I am looking for actual experience pros & cons or recommendations on models of oil/wood boilers. I have heard from a few Newmac owners and it seems these work fairly well. I have been quoted $10,400 to have the Newmac installed. I hate to pay for an oil boiler since I already have one and don't plan to use it a lot but not sure what else to do. Oil needs to be the back up fuel as an outside propane tank is not an option and only other delivered fuel would be coal but I really don't have the storage area and am not sure of they could get it into my basement anyway.

muncybob said:
Well, we were all set to pull the trigger this week on a wood boiler. Planned on keeping the old oil boiler mainly as backup and off season DHW by moving it to a location for power venting and using the existing chimney for the wood boiler. Problem is there is nowhere I can place the power venter that will meet code...too close to the windows. I could live with this as we would just be sure to not open the window affected...but I am told that there would be inspections on the install and the power venter would not pass.

No location that's three feet from a window?

In any case, the key is "operable" windows. Screw the window shut, and it does not count as a window anymore. Unless you have some weird local code, or your local inspector is a jerk...

Joe

Joe, you make a good point and that would probably work except the Mrs. has totally nixed that idea. So, I am leaning toward the Newmac oil/wood boiler. The Wood Gun is what I really want but I would not see that until at least March of next year! The Excel series combo boiler would be high on my list but it's too much $$. Had thought about a gasifier in a shed but after excavation, concrete and shed costs I've ruled that out too. The additional costs make it so much longer for payback.

The oil delivery guy said with a smirk yesterday that oil is down to $3.60/gal. today!

Status
Not open for further replies.