Combustion Air for Jotul C550 Rockland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snbbortnichak

Oct 21, 2010
Easter PA
I know that my Jotul C550 draws combustion air from the room in which it's located, but does anyone know where the combustion air actually enters the insert? I've never seen a diagram showing the circulation patter of combusion air through this insert.

I'm toying with the idea of adding some sort of outside air vent through the back of our brick fireplace to increase the efficiency of the insert. Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

I can't remember for sure but when I was looking at the 550 I thought the combustion air came in the front bottom. It's going to be tricky doing outside air if that's the case. Maybe you can rig a vent behind the insert that you can open and close as needed and the insert will draw from it.

There is a fresh air intake on the rear of that stove. I would not recommend modifying it. Giving it more air will only make the fire burn faster, hence not as efficient.

Slightly off topic but has anyone else noticed that Jotul has revised the Rockland c550? The system for the secondaries on their schematic online has completely changed from the one I have from two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.