Combustion air...HELP....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann236

May 12, 2009
Wisconsin
I just bought a house with what I think to be a Napolean 1401/02 insert...fairly new. I try to start a fire in it and it burns good with the door open, but goes out when I close the door regaurdless where I put the burn control. Any ideas why it is not pulling in air to burn when I shut the door. I new to fireplaces and such, any help is appreciated!

How wet/green/fresh is your wood? Does the wood hiss and bubble as it burns? What happens if you leave that door cracked for several minutes? Most stove's owner's manuals allow the door to remain cracked open during startup to establish a rapid fire and good draft so it is not out of line to start it up this way. Are you getting any smoke spillage from the open door?

Most likely cause is the unseasoned wood since this is a new house you are likely to have "new" wood. Use lots more smaller kindling and leave the door cracked as long as needed to before you can shut the door and the fire keeps going.

Are you sure that you are running the controls of the stove correctly? Have you reviewed the owners manual?? I agree with HighBeam that the most likely culprit is your wood.

Make sure you have seasoned wood.
Make sure your primary air is wide open on startup.
Make sure you have NO blockage in the stack or cap.

Just throwing out ideas.

Edit: if you are new to this stove, I highly suggest reviewing the owners manual. There really is more to this than loading up a bunch of logs and striking a match. You should know things like acceptable stove/stack temps, air control settings, etc. Remember, this is a box full of fire INSIDE of your house. Safety first.

I am not sure the state of the wood, it looks to be dry. It is bearch wood. When the door is left open the fire burn well and hot. I will try out some hard wood the has been dryied out for sure. Where is this stove supose to pull combustion air from? The manual doesn't really say that at all.

Page 4 of the manual linked above:

"Combustion air enters through two holes in the bottom covered by a single draft control. Air from the front hole goes up on either side of the door into a preheating airwash located across the top and then down the window to feed the fire and also to ensure that the glass remains clean. Air from this hole also feeds directly into the combustion chamber at hearth level. Secondary air from the rear hole travels up the back in the secondary air housing to the manifold located at the top and shoots out laterally to oxidize the gases below the smoke exit."

supermann236 said:
Does the stove pull air in from the room, or is it pulled in from outside?

Now that you have had a chance to orientate with your stove manual you should be able to observe @ the back of your stove to see if an OAK has been installed. If so, you should now confirm if it has been restricted in any way. RE; being plugged etc...
Confirm this, then if no OAK, open a window to confirm a fresh air supply has been established. Next step if no headway is gained, pick up some kiln dried firewood from a local store and rule out your wood supply being the culprit.
Good luck. N of 60

EDIT: See PG7 of your (stove manual) link on the above posts by ilikewood.

superman, because you are new to fireplaces, etc., OAK is an acronym for Outside Air Kit. Follow all the good suggestions above and as N of 60 suggests, check for an OAK and be certain it is not clogged. My OAK is now stuffed with insulation at the vent hood to prevent intrusion of bees, bugs and other unwanteds during the summer season. Perhaps the OAK to your stove is also temporarily plugged.

Good luck,

John_M

supermann236 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I take it, if there is no OAK installed the stove draws air from the room up through the bottom of the stove?

Correct....might want to take a good once over of the air inlets to make sure you don't have a clog/blockage of air. Good luck.

What exactly is the chimney setup on this stove? Type of chimney, height etc.

alot stove set ups dont want to run real well in warmer weather as well you have to baby it alot to get them to run well under 45 deg outside temp

Status
Not open for further replies.