combustion air source, inside air? or fresh from outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozarkjeep

Nov 6, 2006
pros? cons?

possible to retrofit an older insert?

there is an ash cleanout door in the bottom center of the fireplace, could I somehow duct that into my insert for fresh combustion air?

I guess Id just have to figure out how to regulate it then huh?

Has any one here ever retrofitted something like this?

or is it not worth the effort with a tightly sealed stove?

Tell us about your house.

Square footage, Mobile Home, and tight or loose construction?

2000 sq ft, split level ( 3 levels) fireplace on bottom level.

12x25 room, stairs on one end, and the HVAC return air intake is in the stairway.

built in 68 or so, storm windows, but not sealed very well over all.

ozarkjeep said:
2000 sq ft, split level ( 3 levels) fireplace on bottom level.

12x25 room, stairs on one end, and the HVAC return air intake is in the stairway.

built in 68 or so, storm windows, but not sealed very well over all.

So, is that a split level on a basement? Or a triple split.

Anyway, your house is most likely on the loose side. You will have no trouble drawing combustible air inside the home.

I must admit, I like the idea of outside combustible air, but the facts just don't seem to prove a big benefit to any great degree, other than in rather air-tight homes.

Do not even attempt to use the HVAC system to distribute the warm air around the home. This has been discussed to death on this board and the end result is always the same.... it does not work. Tried it myself... does not work.

My advice is to not focus on the fresh air intake and get burning. With the stairs at one end, the heat will take some time to find its way upstairs, but heating the next level from underneath is not bad either. DO NOT cut holes in the floor to get the heat upstairs.

What you may find is that the warm air will run up the stairwell from the ceiling, and the cold air will rush down the stairs.

Bottom line. Don't fret about the air intake and start burning. I like the idea of combustible air being drawn from upstairs, especially if you are in a basement... provides fresh air.

Nope, it actually works pretty well, and ive been reading stuff in it for several hours now.

There was only one or 2 topics about freash air intake, and NONE were covered as well as was done above.

I wont argue the hvac to circulate the air, ive used it in 2 previous houses with success, but never multiple levels as this one.

3 distince levels, split, 3 story, whatever.

Mike Wilson said:
Oh no... HeathNet's SEARCH function must be broken again...

-- Mike

Keep asking questions Ozark.

Sounds like you have experience. Keep us posted on your next contemplation or move. And share your experience with others.

Pluses for outside fresh air feed

1/ it will help equalize a negative pressure situation and once that is nuetralized, it will enhance the draft of your appliance

2/. if the area in which the stove is in, competes for combustion air from other fuel burning applainces, then this will make up the defeciencies

3/ It accomplishes both functions of #1 and #2 above

Status
Not open for further replies.