Combustion control on my Quadrafire 7100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
Just got in my New baffle board and metal plate that holds it in.Still waiting on my ceramic blanket.It is suppose to be here friday. I was kinda checking the fireplace out and have the front fascia off and noticed when I slide the combustion control lever all the way to the right I can hear a ticking noise so I assume the timer is working. Seemed like it ticked for a half hour or so before it quit. If I slide the lever back to the left nothing seems to happen.Even after the timer quits ticking. I can manually close it by pushing the bracket but when I slide the lever to the right it seems to open but dont close when I go back to the left unless I push it by hand. Is this normal? Is it opening and closing And what I am seeing is just the timer? How do I know this is working right before I get it all installed?

Hi ymurf, if I am reading this right, it is working correctly. The primary air control knob in the bottom front of the stove sits naturally right in the middle unless the spring/timer [ACC (Auto-Combust Control)] is actuated to the right. It will tick and close the knob back "down" to the middle position. IF you want to throttle the air down further, you have to manually move the knob to the left--you'll first to a click ~ 1/4 of way remaining and then you will have to push it past that click ALL the way left for the air to be shutoff or "closed". I will try to take some pics for you tonight when I get home.

This season, my 4th w/this stove, I am finding w/really well-seasoned wood (2-3yrs, 14-19% MC) I have not had to engage the ACC. I don't believe I've moved that knob to the right even once. I've been able to get the stove lit w/minimal kindling on cold-starts and no-kindling on reloads on coals. When the stove is up to temp, I've been running the stove at that "click" point to the left (~1/4 way closed) or even fully closed. Last night I loaded the stove w/5 medium sized splits (4 ash, 1 oak) on some good coals at ~9:45pm. In about 10min the wood is taking off well and I throttle down to that 1/4 mark left. Secondaries are going nuts, so much so my wife starts making fun of me and my forum name 'blue2ndaries'...:mad: Anyway I head to bed ~11pm and throttle it down all the way left--closed. Secondaries still going crazy. I wake up at 5:30am this morning, stove still fairly warm (warm enough that the Rheo-fan is still on), and there are good coals. Rake coals fwd, make the tunnel of love, add 3 splits, move air control knob to the middle (not engaging ACC) and the fire takes off again. By the time wife/kids are up at 6:30am, I've throttled it down again to the click point to left and secondaries are going well.

Hi ymurf, if I am reading this right, it is working correctly. The primary air control knob in the bottom front of the stove sits naturally right in the middle unless the spring/timer [ACC (Auto-Combust Control)] is actuated to the right. It will tick and close the knob back "down" to the middle position. IF you want to throttle the air down further, you have to manually move the knob to the left--you'll first to a click ~ 1/4 of way remaining and then you will have to push it past that click ALL the way left for the air to be shutoff or "closed". I will try to take some pics for you tonight when I get home.

This season, my 4th w/this stove, I am finding w/really well-seasoned wood (2-3yrs, 14-19% MC) I have not had to engage the ACC. I don't believe I've moved that knob to the right even once. I've been able to get the stove lit w/minimal kindling on cold-starts and no-kindling on reloads on coals. When the stove is up to temp, I've been running the stove at that "click" point to the left (~1/4 way closed) or even fully closed. Last night I loaded the stove w/5 medium sized splits (4 ash, 1 oak) on some good coals at ~9:45pm. In about 10min the wood is taking off well and I throttle down to that 1/4 mark left. Secondaries are going nuts, so much so my wife starts making fun of me and my forum name 'blue2ndaries'...:mad: Anyway I head to bed ~11pm and throttle it down all the way left--closed. Secondaries still going crazy. I wake up at 5:30am this morning, stove still fairly warm (warm enough that the Rheo-fan is still on), and there are good coals. Rake coals fwd, make the tunnel of love, add 3 splits, move air control knob to the middle (not engaging ACC) and the fire takes off again. By the time wife/kids are up at 6:30am, I've throttled it down again to the click point to left and secondaries are going well.
When I slide it all the way to the right the bracket in this picture shifts to the right and timer starts ticking. After a half hour or so when the ticking stops that bracket doesnt go back to the left.I assume this is the acc timer? Only way it wants to go back to the left is if I push it with my finger..Maybe just needs a good cleaning or some WD-40?
100_0652.jpg

100_0653.jpg
100_0654.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.