combustion gas analyizer - help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the summer I bought a cheap combustion gas analyizer. With the wood boiler now in full swing, I started trying to figure it out.
I got it connected, and running. I figured out the companion PC software and got the usb-serial link working.
I scanned a tag from the printer output on the device.
The spreadsheet was an import from a MDB table into excel.
If I look at the data with their tool, GAS1 is really %O2, GAS2 is CO. The other columns were harder to figure out. Parameter 60 was the flue gas temp, in deg c. , I added another column to compute *f.
Other data that their tool gives, take sample #13 for example CO2=7.1, eff net=68.1, eff=78.7, eff cond=68.1, loss net%=21.9, loss gross%=24.3, PI C/GIC=0.06, PI/GIG=0.3, CO ref ppm=518

for the data set, the last 5 readings (8-13) were taken while the boiler was in the middle of a long burn. Sample 3 was taken with the door open(high air, high temp). sample 4 was taken with all air shut, high CO.
Can anybody help interpret these numbers ?
Is my wood boiler burning efficiently?

Thanks

Attachments

• no7.jpg
    no7.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 238
  • gas_output_table1.jpg
    gas_output_table1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 234
jersey, try contacting the manufacturer, they might put you in contact with the engineer that designed the parameters for the effiency calculations, the o2% , ambient temp and flue gas temp are sampled, the co2% is calculated, based on the forementioned and effiency math is also based on a specific moisture content of the wood. heaterman has a testo flue gas analyser with 3 m/c options that influence net and gross effiency. my testo 327 a cheaper one has a 10% factor for wood m/c that it uses for effiency. co2, comes and goes with the wood burning process, o2 ranging from 4 to 7% is what testo suggested.

thanks.
Its starting to come together. I figured out to export the data with relevant headings. Then I sorted by stack temperature and I have a chart that means something. What it means i have yet to discover.
I did notice some trends:
The CO is only above 1000 if I am at a low burn, or really high burn.
the % O2 is high when stack temp is low, and low when the stack temp is high. the curve decreases quickly as stack temps go above 500 f
the %CO2 increases quickly as stack temps go above 500

Am I missing something or is the data telling me that I should be burning between 500-550 ?
Shouldn't I be trying to maximize CO2?
This is great data!

Attachments

• gas_analz_chart1.jpg
    gas_analz_chart1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 172
  • gas_analz_chart1_data.jpg
    gas_analz_chart1_data.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.