1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

come-along or lever lift

Post in 'The Gear' started by jklingel, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jklingel

jklingel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    I'm looking at getting a 3 to 4 ton come-along or a chain lever-lift, using it primarily for an occasional "got stuck" w/ my skid-steer. Does anyone have any experience w/ the Jets, Ross, Pro Forge, whatever? I have used many of the various 1000 to 2000 lb come-alongs, and frankly have not run into a really tough one yet; too many are stamped scum-alongs, which bend when you get really nasty with the handle, so I am leaning toward a chain lever-lift. Never used a lever-lift; ads say about 80 lbs of force will give you the full 3 ton pull. Reality? Anyone ever use a Neiko come-along? They have them up to 5 ton; am wondering about their build; NFL, or kindergarten? Pls advise... thanks. j

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    So far by working the bucket I have been able to get unstuck. Also, by lifting the front end with the bucket and placing small logs or heavy brush under the wheels, I also have been able to get needed traction to get unstuck.
  3. jklingel

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    Jim: Thanks. Yes, those techniques have worked OK... so far. However, the ones that worry me are the side-tips, or deep mud. I dropped off of a guy's driveway 2 yrs ago pushing hard pack, and had a little daylight under my left rear. Thankfully I was able to dig under the front and lower the machine just enough to bucket-out. Then, this fall, I laid it over about 45 degrees against a tree stump when I fell into the stump's hole. A chain hoist on a tree righted me; I got lucky again. So, I think it would be handy to have a little manual power around, just for grins.
  4. jklingel

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    Done deal. A guy on the Garage Journal pointed out this site:
    http://www.wyeth-scott.com/ I ordered one. Looks like my kind of come along. j
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.