Comment on T5 corner install (size of floor protector/ hearth)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithO

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2007
Jackson, MI
I am in the process of installing my new T5 and intend to build a raised hearth for it since it will be a corner install and I am somewhat tall and don't like having to bend double to load it. A raised hearth will also make it more visible over some of our furniture and provide better penetration in the room of the radiant heat.

The problem I am running into is that the listed floor protectors are simple rectangles. The front clearance listed in the manual is 16" for the USA. I have heard rumblings of 18" being the "new minimum". Is this true ?

So here is the deal: I have a space 46x46" for the corner install. If I need more than this I encroach on an aisleway and it starts getting messy. If I orient the stove parallel to one wall, I need less than the maximum of 46" but more in the other dimension (not critical).

Am I interpreting the requirement for the 45 degree install correctly ?

Attachments

• T5 Install.jpg
    T5 Install.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 434
You are using double-wall pipe?

Attachments

• 1 T-5.jpg
    1 T-5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 363
If your manual says 16", then that's the clearance you go by. I don't like bending over much anymore either, so both my stoves sit atop hearths 12" above the floor. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat.jpg
    stovecat.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 340
Soopah 27 said:
You are using double-wall pipe?

Yes, double wall pipe indeed, else I need a whole lot more room for the beast. The double wall pipe will have an offset, since I can't position the chimney over the stove connector. Hopefully 2 45 degree elbows or even a smaller angle if they are available. In combination with the raised hearth and the double elbow offset, I am hoping to use a single telescopic section of double wall. On the install of my Morso, I used 2 ft sections and it looked like crap. Not to mention I had to adjust my chimney height to make the connection, which made working on the system a royal pain...

I was looking at the firebox of the T5 today on my pallet jack and it is going to be so good to have a deep rectangular firebox with NS loading, after the past winter with the tapered firebox of the Morso and EW loading... I was always fighting the logs trying to roll out the door when trying to pack that little 1.6 cu ft firebox to the hilt. Make no mistake, the Morso is a very well made stove, but one has the impression that the secondary burn system was "grafted onto" an existing cast stove. If one was heating a much smaller space and didn't require burns over 3 hours in length, maybe it wouldn't be a problem.

On the 45* install check out dimension "C" for adjacent walls.

With my limited math ability...I opted to measure my own stove & hearth - which led to more confusion, as mine is installed with dimension "C" at about 7 inches. (for safety) ;-)

How I figured my install, was to make a template about 25" square and fit it up into place, measuring dimension "C" off each corner. Then measured off the front face for the door clearance. My min was (18") as I'm in Canada.

The 46" looks close... check it out with a full size template to be sure. The cardboard will weigh a lot less than that stove! My T-5 is great, wake up to hot coals every morning & love it.

Best of luck.

Attachments

• Tito 2.jpg
    Tito 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 271
More: if the hearth is still going to intrude into a traffic area, you can raise only the portion under the footprint of the stove, and lower the perimeter to floor level, even sinking it in flush if you want. And despite the new NFPA 211 generic requirement for 18" of floor protection in front of the loading door, the T5's US listing at 16" still stands.

Well, its great to hear that the UL listed 16" remains valid. Tom, the vertical line at the right end of the horizontal 46" dimension is in fact our hallway. To get from the hallway to the kitchen one has to walk past the space where the raised hearth will go. Provided we don't exceed the 46" dimension, the flow is not impeded.

At the moment I'm preferring the second proposal. I can't get the chimney in exactly the right location in either configuration, but with the second option at least I get the put both elbows in the double wall in the same plane and in line with the stove. Asthetically it will be more pleasing and there will be better access when loading wood since the door is hinged on the right.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.