Comments on CL posting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion: No way. The cylinder uses springs for a return, plus a short stroke, it looks like a complete basket case. 75 bucks, maybe, but that would be trying to part it out and scrap it.

Your going to pay $300 to buy it then whatever else to fix it.

Not worth it IMO.

I need a splitter badly enough that I started looking for project cases, but you both have good points. I'll keep saving the pennies.

Holy huge cylinder. That has to be an 8 or 10" cylinder on that thing. Couple that with a belt driven single speed pump and a non running antique engine and it would be a "no go". And where the heck is the control valve?? There are better projects out there, dogz.

Agree with the no go as repair project, beam assembly ok if you could get it for say $50, then just replace everything above, course by that time might just as well buy a box store unit on sale- might even be cheaper.

OMG, should be the poster splitter for "what splitter not to buy off CL"

No way for $300 - maybe $30 to 60... if you can cut metal, weld and have the mechanical aptitude to get it working, the I beam and wheels could serve as a base for the next creation. If you're planning to get that engine running or 'bolt on' another one, I'd say no way. The main problem with something like that is it was created with what ever was handy at the time. If anything breaks (like one of those giant rusty springs is most likely to do) then you're sent scavenging to find out what the heck the original builder used for that part and trying to find a replacement for something non-standard and likely no longer made, or you're looking at further modifications. The first situation is bad because who knows where or when you'd ever find these obscure parts, the second situation again assumes you can cut/weld, etc - so why not just make something so you know where the parts are from.

Status
Not open for further replies.