Comments on my article called "How much is your tree worth" pls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruserious2008

Jan 24, 2011
NH
Greetings fellow woodchucks.
Had a CL ad and visit today that pushed me over the edge and had to vent by writing a 3 page article directed at homeowners that think their trees are worth their weight in gold. I've posted it on my web site and would appreciate it if some of you would take a look at it and let me know what you think and where it needs tweaking. Not sure what else I can do with it except keep it active on my site and use it when I see a whack job CL ad and invite others to link to it when it may help them get a point across to someone about "free" wood.
the link is How much is my tree worth- article

Thanks

I like it. Well done sir.

Shawn

True, but will anyone read it? First, we know on the Internet that if it is more than a couple short paragraphs long, most folks will not read it. It just will not hold their attention that long. Secondly, it is a case like so many; the ones that need to read, won't.

Still, you are to be commended by just simply trying. Maybe you'll get through to a few. Who knows?

I'm off to write a 3 page rant about pdf files

:)

Besides missing a whole lot of commas, apostrophes, and other marks of punctuation, and what Savage said, it's cute. I do agree, though--those people are annoying.

S

It came up on the front page of a google search when I entered "How much is my tree worth" So you must be doing something right.

Some People will never get it.....I have way to many example and there still where I last seem them! There is nothing thats ever going to be 100 percent so work with the percent you can and would not put time in things you can not change!

Good article. I thought it was going to talk about how valuable the shade is, the oxgen it gives off, the beautifull furniture or house it could make, etc....

Wood Heat Stoves said:
It's all very true. I'm afraid to figure out how much the "free" wood on my property actual costs me.

:cheese:

The idea that tree guys making money on the back side is the best. The guys that call me are thankful that I show up and make the trees they buck to my desired length go away. Especially when its not the premium stuff.

When someone posts an ad on CL for "trees for firewood - $100", just ask them to have the cash ready when you show up! Works 0% of the time, but you might get a laugh out of it.

lukem said:
When someone posts an ad on CL for "trees for firewood - $100", just ask them to have the cash ready when you show up! Works 0% of the time, but you might get a laugh out of it.

I like that!

Good essay too. You should try to shorten it so that more people will actually read the whole thing.

In the end when I “advertise†on CL I usually state I'm looking for primarily hardwood but would help
you with pine if its small in size and quantity ( and I don't say it but as soon as I get a sign that someone
is trying to sucker me into something I walk) . I won't take anything down that is more than 22†in
diameter (limits of my saw, back and brains!) or drop anything that is within fall range of a house,
fence, shed, neighbors land etc. Likewise it needs to be reasonably accessible. Remember how heavy I
was saying a tree is? I need to get it to my trailer somehow. I had one offer that I looked at that that was
literally down a huge slope, across a stream and up another slope (guy wanted to open a view-reasonable desire but until we perfect a Star Trek like transporter there's no way anyone is hauling
those trees out.) I offered to drop them for $50 a tree but was turned down. I also don't do anything
with the brush except neatly pile someplace nearby. I'm saving you $600 plus by doing this so I think
its reasonable that you spend the time and money to get rid of the brush and branches.

With all respects, the quoted text and other portions say to me that you're generally seeking low-hanging fruit from Utopian Forest. I'd predict you'd need to turn away from many sites with those expectations. Amateur forestry is seldom so clean and easy. In fact, it's often the most troublesome trees that an owner would want to drop and chop. And when the task is sublime, it would seem uncommon to need to cruise CL for assistance.

It seems that your complaints would be resolved by just letting the market adjust itself. Make your best offer every time, and walk away if it isn't accepted.

Anyway, this was a good read. Nice work.

thinkxingu said:
........... and what Savage said, it's cute. I do agree, though--those people are annoying.

S

Very nice article. Very well said. "Free" is $1,000 in Saws, $1,500 in splitter, $50 in fuel (vehicle/saws), Maintenace costs (vehicle/saws) and Your Labor.

Going and grabbing some wood this afternoon. Its already been C/S. The gentleman is moving and is "Getting rid of it". About 3 Cords of 2 yr old mostly Sugar Maple, Ash, and Pin Oak. (So he says, I shall see when I get there). Pics to follow in a couple days.

EVERY-TIME and I mean every-time I C/S/S wood. I think of the quote in thinkxingu Signature. Henry Ford's "Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice". I Love It.

Status
Not open for further replies.