Commercial / Industrial Gasifiers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Hearth Supporter
Jul 14, 2008
southern NH
Does anybody have any links or info regarding Institutional size gasifiers ? We're investigating alternate energy sources for heating an Elementary School witH ~ 12 classrooms. Not yet sure of the BTU requirements but greatest interest is in something that blows woodchips into the firebox automatically so there doesn't have to be an engineer running the thing.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Google Viessmann, Froling as well a host of others that make commercial/industrial systems. Most will be chip or pellet fed systems as when you get that large cord wood becomes very labor intensive & therefore not cost effective long term.

There is an upcoming conference in Manchester you may want to check out, here is the website. Craig (the webmaster) was in attendence last year

http://www.heatne.com/

Chiptec and Messersmith supplied most of the automated school heating systems in VT. The Biomass Energy Resource Council BERC, in Montpelier VT has a couple of great downloads on heating schools with wood. They are very good documents to read as they tell you the questions you need to ask to make sure it makes sense to heat a school with wood.

There is one firm based out of Portland Maine that does a pellet boiler system for schools. They supply the pellets and get paid by a surcharge on the pellets so the school doesnt need to pay anything up front. I expect they will be at the HeatNE show along with a lot of other firms.

They are building a new school locally and are using wood chip.

Because of out extreme weather they are chipping wood to order and using a hopper system to deliver.

The Boiler is an Osby Parca.

Loki said:
Does anybody have any links or info regarding Institutional size gasifiers ? We're investigating alternate energy sources for heating an Elementary School witH ~ 12 classrooms. Not yet sure of the BTU requirements but greatest interest is in something that blows woodchips into the firebox automatically so there doesn't have to be an engineer running the thing.

Any guidance is appreciated.
What the others said, the chips are all augered into the firebox automatically from the belt fed hopper, least the ones I've seen. I think there are some on YouTube, Randy

Just a quick question? The chips that they are using, are they dry or green and how does that affect the burning of them?

Gary

The large chip Boilers have a greater tolerance for green. Like everything the dryer the chips the more heat per chip. The Osby Parca recommends going up a size if you are going to use >40%.

IM an architect with a k-12 design firm, we are putting two large wood pellet fired gassification boilers ind a middle school in Malone NY right now. Conservative forecast is sixty thousand dollars saved per year. Boilers are from Advanced Climate Technology out of Schenectady NY. We also installed one of these boilers at the Adirondack natural history museum (the W!LD Center) in Tupper Lake NY. Finally we put a large chip burning facility, the first of its kind in NY, at Harford Central School District using a chiptech boiler. Chips are great but demand quite a bit larger investment due to the large infrastructure..chip storage and moving the chips around, dumping them...purchasing a tractor is often required. Pellets can be economically set up in a grain silo so a lot depends on available land and so forth.

I enjoyed others post on this and will be looking around at some of these other boilers. Good luck.

Most will be chip or pellet fed systems as when you get that large cord wood becomes very labor intensive & therefore not cost effective long term.

This was a consideration for an educational institution I work with, but it made the decision to use cord wood and go with the Garn WHS3200 and a Wood Gun, combined 1,500,000 btuh. As to obtaining the cord wood, labor and cost effectiveness, the institution is located in a major forested area in north central MN, and providing jobs to local loggers and keeping the money in the local economy was a big consideration. The institution is a resident facility, and employees are on site 24-7 for the most part, regular staff loads the boilers during the day time, although part-time help is hired to provide night loading of the boilers. In this case more efficient use of existing staff plus additional local jobs were important. Another factor with the part-time night staff was the benefit of added security at the institution, also important. And then, like mentioned by others, cost of equipment and additional maintenance for a bin/hopper/auger system was a factor; also supply issues of chips during periods when loggers cannot get into the woods vs a large storage area; also it gets really cold here, and freezing of chips, breakdown of equipment, etc. was a consideration; or if a pellet system, nearest supply was over 100 mi away and transportation costs were a factor.

When considering something like this, out of pocket cost is only one consideration; the local economy, local jobs and supporting local families is another consideration.

BTW, cost savings in use of wood energy vs prior use of LP have been very large -- this system is quickly paying for itself.

Portage and Main out of Canada also build chip boilers and pellet boilers.

Dexter Maine middle school put in a biomass boiler, quite a machine. The specs on the fuel are Clean Hardwood chips No Bark! So you have to be very familiar with what fuels are available within a reasonable distance. This school put out the contract to bid and a large Hardwood sawmill won the bid a little more money but they had the cleanest chips.
I would never have expected bark to be an issue for a biomass boiler.

We have just the right product to fit your needs, our WoodMaster BioMax commercial size bio-energy furnace line. It automatically feeds wood chips and/or wood pellets. It was designed with cutting edge European technology but is proudly built in the USA!
There are too many options to discuss them all here. Below is a link to our website. Feel free to contact us toll free at 800-932-3629 for more specific information.

http://www.woodmaster.com/biomax/index.php

jebatty said:
Most will be chip or pellet fed systems as when you get that large cord wood becomes very labor intensive & therefore not cost effective long term.

This was a consideration for an educational institution I work with, but it made the decision to use cord wood and go with the Garn WHS3200 and a Wood Gun, combined 1,500,000 btuh. As to obtaining the cord wood, labor and cost effectiveness, the institution is located in a major forested area in north central MN, and providing jobs to local loggers and keeping the money in the local economy was a big consideration. The institution is a resident facility, and employees are on site 24-7 for the most part, regular staff loads the boilers during the day time, although part-time help is hired to provide night loading of the boilers. In this case more efficient use of existing staff plus additional local jobs were important. Another factor with the part-time night staff was the benefit of added security at the institution, also important. And then, like mentioned by others, cost of equipment and additional maintenance for a bin/hopper/auger system was a factor; also supply issues of chips during periods when loggers cannot get into the woods vs a large storage area; also it gets really cold here, and freezing of chips, breakdown of equipment, etc. was a consideration; or if a pellet system, nearest supply was over 100 mi away and transportation costs were a factor.

When considering something like this, out of pocket cost is only one consideration; the local economy, local jobs and supporting local families is another consideration.

BTW, cost savings in use of wood energy vs prior use of LP have been very large -- this system is quickly paying for itself.

Ecellent trade off analysis for the total impact of the project. Gives more insigt into locally sourced.

I had not seen the Biomax before, interesting. Makes a lot of sense to badge engineer a proven Swedish product. Must say I prefer the Swedish style graphics on the front.

I do not know the pricing of these ones, but it seems that the commercial boilers start at 150kw ish and go up from there. But the cost is not proportionate to the output. They are scaled down larger boilers so the cost saving is not proportionate making it an expensive option.

12 classrooms is not very big, a 150kw system may well be the sort of area. I am going to guess we are looking at $80,000 plus for the Boiler and then you have to add on the controls, integration to the existing system, silo, and maybe even a structure to put it in.

Then there is the chip supply, that depends whether you can buy it chipped or have to process it yourself.

Cord wood is cheaper initially, but you need someone on site to feed it, I would not have thought it was practical for a school.

What they are trying to do around me is to have a source for chips, possibly mobile so it could be moved to the wood supply. Logs would be processed on a as required basis minimising the freezing issue and then delivered to the user. The school is the start, County Buildings to follow. The Rec Center uses pellets, must find out whether it is dual fuel. Hopefully it is, chips are much cheaper than pellets.

If you are southern NH,the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests, has a small wood chip system that heats their complex. Its one of two exits north of Concord on I93 I beleive that they give tours.The system has been running for several years so they can give you the low down on the day to day operation. The tour of the various buildings there is also worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.