Compact Tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbinwyp

Jan 4, 2014
Ohio
Anyone have experience with compact tractors like the Kubota BX 2370 (https://www.kubota.com/product/bx70/bx70.aspx)??

My wife and I moved into a 2.5 acre homestead in NW Ohio. I am starting to think through snow removal, tilling (we borrowed a PTO tiller this year), mowing, moving firewood, and general front loader work. I was quoted $15,000 for the 2370 new with 60" mower and front loader. I am having trouble justifying the cost but am tempted by the convenience.

Anyone have any opinions or experiences with tractors like these?

You can get an old Case 446 with FEL for $2-2.5k that will do everything you listed. It will be old. Like 20-30 years+ old but those old engines are very powerful. I have 2 case's one is 43 years old the other is 40 and they have an amazing amount of power.

I have a B3030. It gets used quite a bit for snow removal, and in the Spring, for firewood harvest. I don't till, or mow with it - no need for that yet. The Kubota brand is spendy. To date, I have put only oil and filters, and had the front tires tubed (common for the B3030). I use the FEL, the forklift attachment, a back blade, and in the Winter the snow thrower attachment. Great gear!

The tractor is something that I'd have a hard time doing without. I even use a three-point chipper for the tree tops when I'm finishing up a site from firewood cutting. It keeps my property much cleaner looking. I got tired of burning the piles. A couple of hours and I have maple chips for ground cover, and I don't have wait for a good day to burn.

I'd recommend scanning your local Craiglist for a lightly used model. Unless you prefer new.

I have a little Massey-Ferguson I bought new a few years ago. I love it, it's a heck of a lot of fun and actually useful. Moving snow with the FEL is really tedious, a rear blade would work a heck of a lot better. For towing stuff with a 3PH, get your hands on one of these: http://www.tractorhitch.com/ I had a couple of trailers and things to move around, and the FPHS-1 made it as easy as it could be.

I agree to look at used tractors...but it doesn't have to be decades old. Rick

I was in your shoes three years ago, Elbinwyp. I debated buying new, but after having borrowed a few older machines, was able to make up my mind on what I needed in a used tractor. Most of these machines will run 2000 - 3000 hours before needing major work, and I found several machines under 1000 hours in the $7k - $8k range.

If intending to do any FEL work, then you really want to stick to 4wd machines. Not that you can't put an FEL on a 2wd machine, but just that going forwards down hills becomes insanely dangerous, and you'll always find yourself lacking traction.

If buying 4wd, then you'll want to stick to machines with power steering. Not that you can't have 4wd with manual steering, but that you will hate yourself and your tractor in very short order, driving around with a heavy FEL and 4wd without manual steering (read: elbow and shoulder problems).

I picked up this Deere 855 MFWD (4wd) with model 52 FEL and 72" mid-mount mower for $8k. I can't remember what I spent on the snow blower, but I do remember the ballast box cost me about $200, about the same for a 1200 lb. utility trailer, and $600 for a Herd M12 seed spreader. It's a 25 hp diesel (19 hp PTO), weighs about 1900 lb. without accessories or 3000 lb. with FEL and ballast box. I did upgrade the front tires from typical 4-ply turf to 6-ply turf (not easy to find!).

IMG_1305.jpg IMG_1303.jpg IMG_0853.jpg

Reactions: TreePointer
I'd love to have a compact one day, but I only have 3 acres, half of which is wooded, and I can't justify the need for it. An older garden tractor is doing great for me so far. Maybe someday if/when I have 20 or more acres. But heck, my dad takes care of his 36 acres with an old Ford 8N and it does fine for him. A FEL would be great, but there's other things I'd rather spend my money on.

A FEL would be great, but there's other things I'd rather spend my money on.
I'll tell you, bass, I used to think the same way. Now that I've owned one a few years, though, I put it right at the top of the list among my tools. In fact, the FEL is now 90% of what I use my tractor for. Truly one if those, "I don't know how I ever lived without it," tools.

100% agree with Joful.
I went through this process last year and ended up with an 8 year old Kubota BX1500 with FEL + mower deck for about $7k.
Searched long + hard and eventually found one with only 450 hours on it and was a huge saving on a new Kubota.
You do truly need the 4WD and power steering with the FEL.
The FEL detaches easily (prevents the wife from damaging things with it) so the compact tractor can be used in many tight places.

I already have an old John Deere tractor but the compact tractor is the most useful tool around our property.
I'm frankly amazed how much we use it.

You might be limiting yourself overall by looking at one do it all machine. Depending on the particulars of your situation and property. I can't mow my lawn with something big enough that would easily remove the snow from our driveway. And real tractor tires can chew the heck out of grass especially if 4wd is involved. I'd maybe look for a used ride-on for most of the lawn, and a used 4wd fel for the rest. You should be able to get yourself into both for less money than you're bouncing around now.

Every 4wd tractor I've been around has selectable 4wd like a truck. You don't need to use it if you are afraid it will cause more turf damage. My problem is weight. For a tractor to have enough "ass" for tractor work you need weight but when mowing the lawn that weight will cause ruts. My 30 HP compact weighs 4500# with the FEL and mower deck. Some folks also fill their tires which will add even more weight. Compare to a lawnmower at 500#.

That 60" mower that was part of the quote for the OP. Why don't you look at a cheap riding lawnmower with a 54" deck?

What's a 2.5 acre homestead? Aren't homesteads hundreds of acres?

Every 4wd tractor I've been around has selectable 4wd like a truck. You don't need to use it if you are afraid it will cause more turf damage. My problem is weight. For a tractor to have enough "ass" for tractor work you need weight but when mowing the lawn that weight will cause ruts. My 30 HP compact weighs 4500# with the FEL and mower deck. Some folks also fill their tires which will add even more weight. Compare to a lawnmower at 500#.
Same situation here, although my tractor is only 25 hp and 3000 lb. I keep 4wd turned off, except when I'm in mud / snow, or doing heavy FEL work on a hill.

I suspect most mowers are heavier than you think, though, particularly int he 60" class. My 60" ZTR mower weighs 1200 lb. dry, which with me and a full tank of gas goes up to 1425 lb.

Homestead is a quarter-section, 160 acre, 25600 square rods, ~65 hectare.
Mostly only to mid-westerners, I suspect. Around here, almost all the original "homesteads" doled out in the 1720's were 100 acres.

I believe "homestead" actually refers to the simple act of taking original ownership, i.e. "squatting" or "granting", versus buying property that is already legally owned. We still have some of the original Penn land grants given to my family for farms we owned in the 1720's. One was still the original / legal "deed" for the property, from 1726 - 1995'ish, when we sold that farm.

I suspect most mowers are heavier than you think, though, particularly int he 60" class. My 60" ZTR mower weighs 1200 lb. dry, which with me and a full tank of gas goes up to 1425 lb.

Good point, I have no experience with wide deck lawn mowers or ZTRs. I do have a smashed finger where my 750# mower deck, just the spinny part, fell on it and made bone soup.

I sure do like having a FEL around the house. Long ago I welded hooks to the bucket so I can lift stuff too.

Yeah, I wish mine had a hook on either side, for more equal living. I currently have one chain hook, top center. Very handy, and gets used a few times each month.

More of my heavy lifting/pulling is done with a draw bar on the 3-point hitch, since my tractor is a little lighter than yours. That 3-point can lift quite a bit of weight at the drawbar. Great for pulling stumps, etc. You just have to choke up tight on the chain, due to the limited travel.

ZTR's might weight more, but they also have fat tires to distribute the load. Mine comes in at around 1200 lbs with fluids, a full tank, and me., but I can mow through a part of my yard that is pure mud right after a rain and only leave mud streaks. I wouldn't dare take a tractor with skinny tires through that part of the yard as it would leave deep ruts. My "garden tractor" with wide turf tires is around 800 lbs fully loaded and can go right though the mud too, but the front tires do leave a little bit of a rut.

Most of my turf damage on the ZTR comes from the rears losing traction and spinning when it gets soupy, not actual sinking of the machine. Also, those skinnier front caster tires can make a mess when the swivel on the soft wet stuff.

A lot of the homeowner grade ZTR's have pretty skinny rear tires, too. Maybe it's to prevent home-boners from creating big divots when they try to zero-pivot the machine. ;-)

Last edited:
I agree with the two tractor solution if $$ permits.

Materials handling/moving (FEL, pallet forks, skidding, trailer towing, snow removal, etc.) is hard on machines and THEY WILL HAVE DOWN TIME for repairs. When I need my lawn tractor for mowing, I really need it right now. In addition, it's very difficult to get a capable tractor for moving materials that makes the lawn look as nice as a dedicated lawn machine (lawn tractor or ZTR).

Reactions: Ashful
If I had the money I would have a mower tractor (probably zero turn), 30 hp tractor and skid steer.

I have a Kubota BX2200 23 hp. It does everything and has been very useful for me. I mow with a 54" deck and it works great, no problems. The loader clears snow and countless other jobs. The three point is only used for my box blade, but someday I will get an angle blade for snow and a rototiller maybe. Sure it doesn't move mountains super fast, but does get the job done.

I bought it with 800 hrs in 2006 for $8900.00. I have 1700 hours on it now. Rebuilt front axle (hard use and leaky seals) and hydraulic hoses have been my only problems.

I do like the John Deere's also. I like the foot controls better, but they cost a little more. Get one that has dealer support close by and you will not regret it. Resale is good, as you have probably found, if you change your mind later and want to go bigger or smaller.

Reactions: Ashful
I agree with the two tractor solution if $$ permits... it's very difficult to get a capable tractor for moving materials that makes the lawn look as nice as a dedicated lawn machine (lawn tractor or ZTR).
Not to mention it's a major PITA using a tractor with a mower deck hanging from it for anything but mowing. I was maneuvering my tractor in tight quarters yesterday and today, in the woods and around my wood storage lot. I couldn't even imagine doing that with the 72" belly mower mounted.

For most folks, I suspect storage is the major constraint. Tractors and mowers ain't cheap, but they're much cheaper than the garage you need for storing two of 'em.

I had a pellet boiler moved today from the garage down to the walk-in basement in the back of the house by a fellow with a rubber-tracked Cat skid steer. He had fine control, and compressed the grass with his tracks, but I think it'll pop back up. See picture. Excuse the appearance of the poster.

20140616_105513.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought a BX2360 new 2009 in the box for $11000.00 as a left over in 2010. Came with fel and weight box.

We had gotten a price of $14000.00 to landscape our new home from a friend. But he said we should do it our selfs just go get the Kubota with 0 down 0 financing and 60 months.

Best money we ever spent! It is now almost paid for the landscaping is done. And we use the BX almost every day for one thing or another.

The neighbor liked it so much he ran out and bought a used one with a backhoe.

Jane loves to cut the grass with a push mower so till she gets tired of that no belly mower. But we did buy a 4' brush mower, BXM32 chipper,5' back blade , 3ph carryall, and a small set of disk harrows . Plus I just traded 2 cords of c/s/s oak for a kubota tiller :).

Our land is a bit larger than yours at 22 acres but trust me you will use the tractor ALL the time.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of these cuts being light weight and "handy". Bigger tractors have there upsides, but they have their downsides too.

Reactions: maple1
I like the idea of these cuts being light weight and "handy". Bigger tractors have there upsides, but they have their downsides too.

Yessir, which is why I have a Toro snowblower & JD LA135 ride-on even though there's a 100hp tractor in the family.

I'm wondering if a compact tractor would be a better way to move wood from my barn than a pickup. The advantage is that maybe I wouldn't need a 4wd pickup anymore. The disadvantage would be that it seems like the bucket probably doesn't hold a lot of wood so it could be a lot of trips from barn to house.

I'm probably hold onto my Simplicity garden tractor for mowing. But I could use the FEL for landscaping and gardening.

My truck holds 1/4 cord stacked level which isn't bad. Its a compact Ranger style with a 6' bed.

I'm wondering if a compact tractor would be a better way to move wood from my barn than a pickup. The advantage is that maybe I wouldn't need a 4wd pickup anymore. The disadvantage would be that it seems like the bucket probably doesn't hold a lot of wood so it could be a lot of trips from barn to house...
My truck holds 1/4 cord stacked level which isn't bad. Its a compact Ranger style with a 6' bed.
My tractor holds more than 1/4 cord, between the FEL bucket and my little poly tub wagon:
photo 21.JPG photo 20.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.