Compact Utility Tractors for Mowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know how it handles on the hills when you get it. I am in your exact situation in that I have extreme hills on approximately 2.5 to 3 acres (that I like to keep well manicured) if you don't count the meadows and paddock areas that have grown up that I'd like to brush hog as well. Also want to use the SCUT to move firewood that has been split at my barn up a hill to the drying paddocks for stacking then back down in the fall for storage (when dry of course). If I invest that kind of money want to be absolutely sure it can mow comfortably but still have the power to move loads like an actual tractor (sub-compact albeit). Hate the Craftsman 26HP with 54" deck I have. Trying to mow the overgrown paddock the other day and just struggled continuously. Great thread by the way.
I will post pics and performance of the tractor once it arrives in a couple weeks. I could have taken one off the dealer lot, but I want a new, unused tractor that hasn't been sitting outside if spending this kind of money!
I will be using for mainly mowing the yard and wooded areas that I have cleared and light driveway maintenance. My other larger tractor does the wood hauling, snow plowing, and heavy bush hog work.
My wife and I both said better to go big than too small and regret the purchase a year or two down the road.

I will check back in a couple weeks.

You bought a 1025r just for mowing?

The most frequent mistake I see among homeowners with large lots shopping tractors, is buying too small. Too many going SCUT's (and incorrectly calling them CUT's), when they should be buying real CUT's, for the jobs at hand.
I think the exact definition gets lost easily. The other factor is to ask yourself how often do you really need the use of the extra HP and frame strength? Last fall I paid a neighbor $100 to come and move a dozen large trunks (1000 lb each) from my bush up to the wood shed. He had a full sized JD and he grabbed 3 at a time on his forks and drove up the steep hill with no effort. His tractor cost over $80K new, mine was $5K used. If you have the ca$h, go big.
I want a chipper for mine and I know a BX2200 cannot run a heavy duty 6"+ chipper w/ feed successfully (according to all the dealers & mfg I have spoken with) but I rent one for $150 once every year that is worth $8K new. Twice over the last 10 yrs, the belt drive has burned out on my rental. That alone is worth the cost of the rental.

Reactions: Ashful
You bought a 1025r just for mowing?
Mowing for now, at my place and my parents, but as with any other piece of equipment, other uses will be found.

Ironically, the 1025r was cheaper than an x758, which is just a mower that tries to be a SCUT. If I ever wanted to add anything to my 1025r, I don't have to buy all the additional equipment to just attach to my tractor. The 1025r already has hydraulics, PTO and three point.

It has been three long weeks, but the tractor has arrived! I will mow with it later today.
c9397b81977e1a8c1ffb32cee042ac5e.jpg

de9d7f9adcdfbe041718e9a70c959961.jpg

Reactions: KenLockett
Schweet!

Needs a snowblower. ==c

Just got done mowing for the first time. This thing is a beast! I have been using a Ford Pinto the last 10 years compared to this thing! WOW!

This thing is a beast!
Just think of what it would be like if you had bought a Kubota ;lol;lol;lol just kidding.

I was just thinking about this thread when I was cutting my 4 acres a few minutes ago.
Enjoy your beast - looks too snazzy for this old goat.

I know Kubota have good tractors, but I bleed Scarlet and Gray (for Ohio State) and green. I mowed stuff today that I haven't been able to before with a standard mower. This tractor laughed at everything I had for it, and I have some serious hills. This is the 1025r ready to mow with landscape rake removed and suitcase weights added.
869f6b0ab79849f8e5fc5df97f0cf6a5.jpg

Nice machine! Reminds me of the day they delivered my 2305. I just love that new tractor smell.

New tractors are fun. My wife said she was looking out the upstairs window last November as I was driving my new one up the driveway after it came off the trailer and that she figured you couldn't have wiped the grin off my face with a baseball bat.

Reactions: bwise.157
Now for the important stuff. How many cupholders does it have? ;lol

Nice! Does it have a USB charger for the phone too? j/k

Last edited:
Trouble is, engine vibration makes beer flat in no time. DAMHIKT

+1. Hope there's a beer drinking/tractor owning engineer out there somewhere working on this problem as we speak.

Drink faster :) When I'm field mowing I'm lucky if the beer bottle stays in the holder.

;ex That'll sober you up quickly.;ex

Reactions: Lake Girl
Congrats on the JD ... I still am a big fan of our Kubota:p Bucket and mower in use now to get the corner yard ready for an August wedding:) Setting up the garden is a whole lot easier when you can scoop the dirt rather than hand bomb with the wheel barrow. Now if the rain would just bug off, we would be great!

Looks like OP has his fix, but for anybody else looking for hill mowing machines...look up Steiner or Ventrac. These things will go places mowers don't belong, especially with the quad dual wheels on!
100_0463A.jpg

We have a hill that we mow at work that you can't walk up on 2 (at least without wearing spikes) hafta get down on 4 and kinda crawl up, that area gets mowed with a Ventrac with quad duals, talk about pucker factor! These machines aren't the cheapest but neither are most of the ones mentioned earlier in the thread. For someone on a budget, there are plenty of these machines out there used, at least in our part of the country, of course they are made locally so maybe more around here because of that...

Reactions: velvetfoot
Interesting beast - never seen the like. Do the dual tires add to traction or stability or both?

Interesting beast - never seen the like. Do the dual tires add to traction or stability or both?
Probably stability more so, or good for "floating" in real wet/soft conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.