Company Installed LP Fireplace when I Bought Nat Gas Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IsThisOk

Nov 30, 2023
Kitsap, WA
Today a local company installed a long-awaited gas fireplace (I've waited two years for the install to save money and then had a 4 month supply-install wait).

I clearly order a Natural Gas fireplace ($8000 all said and done - was a big purchase for my home) and after the installers installed, it did not fire up because it turns out, the ordered fireplace was LP (propane).

The companies solution is to come back with a conversion kit - is this ok? Seems not what I paid for. If it is truly an easy and fine fix I am ok with that. But my biggest concerns are: Will I end up with more "repairs" and unusual things happening with th unit because it is not being used for how it was intended/built? I keep and repait things for a lifetime - 5-10 years down the line will there be issues with repair and maintainence? What other issues happen because of these conversions? It just does not feel right but perhaps I do not understand how the units are built - coming here for some unbiased information (hopefully).

What brand did you purchase? Many models can be field converted to change to the fuel supplied to the home. Check your owners manual for the conversion process & parts required. Some conversions simply require changing the regulator head, the pilot orifice, burner orifice & adjusting the air shutter. Other models also require a burner change…

I purchased a Valor G4 787RGL. The rep accidently ordered a Valor G4 785YP (propane unit) instead of a Valor G4 785YN (natural gas unit). What you posted is what the installer is saying, yet what I'm reading online (and I realize online info is questionable) is saying there are other concerns when converting - yes you can do it but there are functionality concerns to consider - and at $8000 I should not have functionality concerns with this unit. Of course the online info fails to consider the manufacturer, model etc. It's general information. My biggest concern when allowing the conversion is running into issues 1+ years down the line and having maintenance folks tell me "well, it's a conversion so...can't fix that", or "it's a conversion so it'll cost more to fix that, this was not built for NG ..." etc those types of issues - plus I'm reading warmth might vary if you convert and I bought this unit to warm a specific area.

Last edited:
If it’s a factory approved conversion with factory approved hardware, there won’t be any issues. All parts will retain the original warranty. Keep all your records in order, just in case, but I doubt you will have an issue. When I was working in the dealer shop I converted dozens of units from NG to LP & AFAIK, none have had any issues.