compare models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishin

Apr 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio
How would you compare a Jotul F600 to a soapstone Mansfield if you were heating mostly open large home.

The Jotul will be more radiant, heating the immediate area a bit better if you are near the stove. The Mansfield will be a softer heat, that will linger for quite a while after the fire has died down. How well either stove will do will depend on many other factors like the house insulation, sq ftg, ceiling height, window area, stove location, wood quality, flue, etc..

They should be very comparable in burn times, heat output, and overall performance. I really like the jotul ash pan and really hate the Mansfield ash pan. In fact, many people simply shovel the ashes out of the Mansfield, and I would do so as well if I had one.

But really, appearance will be a bigger factor over time than almost any other quality - saving one. On the off chance that you plan to come home of an evening, start a fire, and enjoy the warmth until bedtime, the Mansfield is likely to disappoint. It will take probably half an hour longer than the F600 to start really warming the room. Of course the Mansfield will give off a nice soft heat longer once the fire goes out, so it sort of evens out. That said, these are both big stoves, and they are going to take a while to get up to temperature.

This is one of those situations where there are no bad choices.

As someone who has used both the F600 for years and a Mansfield for years (and still use it) in our showroom, I'll say this:

Overall heating area is very similar
A little softer feeling heat with the Mansfield. I can be heating a 1500 square foot area but still sit 10' away on the couch with customers and be comfy. (we have the couches offset from the stove so we don't get the impact of the radiant heat thru the glass)
Ash pan on the Mansfield is a little clumsy. I also just shovel it once a week or two.
The Mansfield is a lot easier for me to load, n/s, lights easy and is very forgiving. Can fit longer logs in the side door of the 600, but I get my wood 16-18" so doesnt matter much.
Heat life seems much longer on the Mansfield. As I've stated before, I can top off the fire when I leave at 5:30PM and still have a very warm stove (maybe 200-250 degree surface temp) when I get back here 6:30 the next morning with enough coals to just rake and add splits.

But Jotul did feed me tons of huge peeled shrimp back in the heyday at the HPBA shows. I mean HUGE shrimp and there were thousands of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.