comparison fireplace inserts Lopi, Quadrafire and Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taidot123

Sep 25, 2009
ne us
Want to buy an insert and want a comparison between the Quadrafire 5100, Jotul 550 and the Lopi Declaration. They all have about the same BTU output but the Lopi is flush as well so wondered abpout the heat output into the room as compared to the other two. Also I live in Dotchess County New York and has anyone had any experience with Countryside Stove in Red Hook and Tristate Chimney in Poughkeepsie.

From what I hear, the Lopi Declaration is a great stove but be careful because it's got very specific fireplace size requirements. I had to go with the Lopi Freedom because the Declaration wouldn't fit in my fireplace. The Freedom is not a perfect flush although it has a flush kit, so mine only sticks out a few inches. The Freedom is nearly identical to the Declaration in it's size and function but it's tapered fire box allowed it to fit in my fireplace better. I love my Freedom, so I think it's safe to say that the Declaration would be a good choice as well. You won't get any heat out of the Freedom or Declaration though without using the blower.

I can't say anything about the Quadrafire or Jotul though since I'm mostly a Travis Industries fan!

Ive sold Quadrafires on Long Island for 14 years and am in LOVE with the 5100I. Also, I know the guys at Tri State in Poughkeepsie and they are a good bunch of fellows.

I am going into my 12th year with my 5100I and love it. That thing throws tons of heat with dry wood, and can get real long burn times.
Jotul seems to have a pretty good fan club too.

Prepare your wood ASAP no matter which one you buy.

I'm confused by the Bellfire questions. Is that for another room? Do you have an existing fireplace or are you starting from scratch? If you have an existing fireplace, what are its dimensions (H, W, D)?

I have an unusual situation. It is a brick wall but with a projection inside the house that I thought was a bricked over fireplace. However, when I opened it, it was a flue that went into the basement. I want to have a mason open the brick up and probably entend the projection into the room a little to account for the depth of whatever I install. The depth of the flue is about 14 inches and it is 12 inches wide. The width of the projection is 63inches and the height is to the ceiling which is ten feet. I originally wanted an insert for the heating advantages and appearance but I really like the look of a real fireplace and wonder how it compares heatwise to an insert. I have a very old all brick Federal style house.

I have the Declaration and love it... It take a 24" log with almost a 3cu ft box and looks nice too! (wife loved the flush look and I liked the big firebox)

Attachments

• DSC01347.JPG
    DSC01347.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,057
This will be my 5th year with the declaration, great stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.